Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Loss of bandwidth / connection speed with new router (D-Link DIR-6

Loss of bandwidth / connection speed with new router (D-Link DIR-6

=?Utf-8?B?VXMgNSBDYW1w?=

Not a networking expert, but not a computer neophite either.....

I had a D-Link (DI-784) that was replaced by D-Link with a DIR-635.

Upon receipt last night, I setup a simple network. All appeared to go well.
I 1st used the Windows XP network manager interface and additionally setup
the network name and WPA security on the router's 192.168...... interface.

I was able to get my wireless laptop to connect w/o trouble. My home PC is
connected to the router wired. My Media Center Extender was also able to
connect. All was fine and dandy.

However, when I checked my internet speed, my normal Mediacom download
upload of 8-10 Mbps down 200-400 up was down to 2Mbps down and only 50k up.
I unhooked the router and hooked my desktop directly into the cable modem
and normal download speeds returned.

So, what gives, why am I loosing so much throughput. What can I do to
restore?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Windows does Not care which Router it uses. Ethernet feed is an Ethernet
feed.
Try to put the old Router back and see if you get the Download up again.
If indeed it gets Better with the old Router, then call D-Link Support.
BTW, when you put a new Router there is No reason to change any thing in
Windows Network,
You can just unplug the old Router put the New Router and configure the New
Router through Internet Explorer.
If you want to check your Win XP network setting this might help,
http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...