Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laserjet 4P

Laserjet 4P

Angela Marsh

Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at alt.binaries.comp
Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment

Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns to
junk at the bottom half.

What caused that?

Ghostrider

Angela Marsh wrote:

<<snipped>>

> Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at alt.binaries.comp
> Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment
>
> Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns to
> junk at the bottom half.
>
> What caused that?

The printer self-test is normal. This indicates that the printer, itself,
is operating OK. The problem of jibberish printing is going to be in the
computer itself --- printer driver, LPT1 printer port or the printer cable.
From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to check
out this part of printing from a computer.

Also, this printer has only 2 MB of RAM installed. This is not enough to
be printing complex graphics such as maps. In switching from an aborted
printing job such as with the Google maps, doing a re-set of the printer
usually flushes the garbage out of its cache before the next job.

Angela Marsh

Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote :

> Angela Marsh wrote:
>
><<snipped>>
>
>> Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at
>> alt.binaries.comp Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment
>>
>> Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns
>> to junk at the bottom half.
>>
>> What caused that?
>>

> The printer self-test is normal. This indicates that the printer,
> itself, is operating OK. The problem of jibberish printing is going
> to be in the computer itself --- printer driver, LPT1 printer port or
> the printer cable.
> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
> check
> out this part of printing from a computer.

Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
here.

> Also, this printer has only 2 MB of RAM installed. This is not enough
> to be printing complex graphics such as maps.

It must use Windows as a buffer or something, it's been doing it for
years. I've had this printer since 1989, with only cartridge changes and
no other work on it, can you believe that? I hope it's still working,
though can't exactly expect that at this point. HP used to build some
amazing stuff.

> In switching from an
> aborted printing job such as with the Google maps, doing a re-set of
> the printer usually flushes the garbage out of its cache before the
> next job.

I never had any aborted jobs before. I've been using it for Google Maps,
Streets & Trips, even AutoCAD, for years.

It just started doing this when I originally posted here about it.

GHalleck

Angela Marsh wrote:

<<snipped>>

>> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
>> check
>>out this part of printing from a computer.

> Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
> here.

Looks like a typo here. To perform a "Print Test Page" from Windows,
open Control Panel and then Printers. Right click on the icon for the
LaserJet 4P to open Properties. Under the General tab, there should be
a button that says "Print Test Page". Click on it. How does the page
look after it comes out of the LaserJet 4P?

Angela Marsh

GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> Angela Marsh wrote:
>
><<snipped>>
>
>>> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
>>> check
>>>out this part of printing from a computer.

>> Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
>> here.
>>

> Looks like a typo here. To perform a "Print Test Page" from Windows,
> open Control Panel and then Printers. Right click on the icon for the
> LaserJet 4P to open Properties. Under the General tab, there should be
> a button that says "Print Test Page". Click on it. How does the page
> look after it comes out of the LaserJet 4P?

I get the same results as printing a Word page that way, 2 pages of
gibberish in a single line at the top of each. Must be either the
interface card or the input interface in the printer itself. Oh well...

Just fired up a new Canon MF3240 last night. Wow! SO much faster, and
with all the other goodies.

J-McC

By doing the following you will easily determine if it is a windows,
and hardware, or hardware only problem. Forget worrying about
corrupted print drivers, spool files, computer memory etc at this
stage untill you do this.

To confirm the printer port is ok I would suggest you make a bootable
floppy (format with system option for floppy). Then boot the computer
up in DOS mode from the floppy.
You should now have a computer running in good old DOS mode and
hopefully a prompt like
a:>.
Now simply type this "dir a:\ >lpt1:" without quotes and when you have
typed it in then press the enter key. Watch the printer immediately
after you press the enter key, you should see a green led indicating a
data transfer then press the GO button on the printer. This should
make the printer startup and eject a page with a directory listing of
what is on the floppy.

"dir a:\ >lpt1:" then press the enter key

If this prints correctly and does not have weird characters printed
the your print port, cable and the printer port on the printer would
seem to be ok. On the other hand if you find you get some or all text
is garbled then you have a hardware, print port, cable or printer
interface problem.
If all this garbage happens then to confirm if the priner and or cable
is faulty take your floppy, printer and print cable to a friend's
place and repeat this on their computer.

Considering the cost of new Laser printers (I recently bought a
Brother 2040 laser for $aud 89.00 which had a usb and a Centronics
36pin connector for the parallel port) if it turns out to be the
printer just replace it, this will be the most cost effective
solution.

If it turns out to be the printer port on the computer then this will
indicate a mainboard fault and you may be able to disable the print
port in the Bios and purchase a replacement LPT (PCI) or (ISA
interface card if the main board is quite old). They are quite cheap
(about $aud 25.00-$aud30.00) and then install it and run the software
cd or disk that comes with the replacement print card.
Good Luck.
J McC http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)