Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration service not starting.

Wireless Zero Configuration service not starting.

=?Utf-8?B?SSBuZWVkIGhlbHA=?=

When I try to manually start this service on my XP SP2 machine, I get this
error message:

"Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on Local Computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I have my drivers for the wireless card installed properly, so what can I do
to fix this problem so that I can start this service?

Thanks!

Pavel A.

This can be result of activity of 3rd party software installed with your wireless card.
Unfortunately some these "utilities" can't do any better than disabling the service.
--PA

"I need help" <I need http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to manually start this service on my XP SP2 machine, I get this
> error message:
>
> "Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on Local Computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
>
> I have my drivers for the wireless card installed properly, so what can I do
> to fix this problem so that I can start this service?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?SSBuZWVkIGhlbHA=?=

When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
restart the service.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.

How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
for it.

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> restart the service.

=?Utf-8?B?SSBuZWVkIGhlbHA=?=

Hi Eric,

There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero Configuration
service.

I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running since
bootup.

Mike

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>
> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>
> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
> for it.
>
> _____________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> > restart the service.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Hi Mike,

What kind network card do you have installed?

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
> Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
> since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
>> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>>
>> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>>
>> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> status
>> for it.
>>
>> _____________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable
>> > restart the service.

Tanya

Go to regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WZCSVC

add a DWORD entry named "Start" and
value "2"
"2" is automatic.
In the jhelp files in Computer Management all the Services are listed for
the default settings look there if you have been messing with Services.
Reboot if you change anything.
"I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
> Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
> since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
>> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>>
>> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>>
>> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> status
>> for it.
>>
>> _____________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable
>> > restart the service.

Pavel A.

Ok then what happens if you type in "dos" window:
SC start wzcsvc
then
SC queryex wzcsvc

--PA

"I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
> > there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
> > Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
> > Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
> >
> > How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308427
> >
> > Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
> > quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
> > for it.
> >
> > _____________
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> > > restart the service.

Tanya

The path is either (systemroot) orC:\windows\inf\netwzc.inf. Click Open.
Then click OK. Choose Wireless Zero Configuration. Click OK. Restart the
system. Then it will show up in Services.msc. It is already started. If it
won't stay started Regedit will do that or you have something conflicting
like running the wireless Network Manager Software at the same time. You
have to use one or the other not both.
"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok then what happens if you type in "dos" window:
> SC start wzcsvc
> then
> SC queryex wzcsvc
>
> --PA
>

> "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
>> Configuration
>> service.
>>
>> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
>> since
>> bootup.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see
>> > if
>> > there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> > Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> > Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details
>> > here.
>> >
>> > How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308427
>> >
>> > Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> > quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> > status
>> > for it.
>> >
>> > _____________
>> > Eric Cross
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> >

>> > "I need help" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?SSBuZWVkIGhlbHA=?=

Network Card:
Asus 802.11b WiFi motherboard addin card

When happened when I tried to start it in dos using SC start wzcsvc ?
I got the same error message:
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it

What happened then when I tried to check its status using SC queryex wzcsvc
?
Along with a bunch of other info, the STATE :1 STOPPED

I couldn't find the netwzc.inf file.

It is allready setup to automatically start at bootup, but it still doesn't.
Strange this is this WAS working a few days ago, then when I rebooted I was
no longer able to start the service. I was always able to start the service
manually with the Asus software running at the same time, but now I can't.
Wireless connection is a big NO if the Asus software is on or off with or
without WZC. It doesn't work with WZC running alone.

I don't think it is a conflict because no other wireless software is running
or started durinig bootup. Which I don't think it would matter anyways
because it ran fine with the Asus software before I booted up.

The error message "The service cannot be started, either because it is
disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" seems
straight forward. When disabled, starting it up does no good, so it must
have no enbled devices associated with it, right? So how hard is it to
associate something to it?

Mike