Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Open Document Format / Rich Text Format Editor in Java

Open Document Format / Rich Text Format Editor in Java

Dominik

hi all,

I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).

One requirement is that it is possible to display different fonts,
text size, text color, text-decoration, images, tables with or without
borders/colors , links, background color, indent, numbering, bullets
etc.

I know about the RTFEditorKit and the HTMLEditorKit from the swing
packages ...and of their limitations.

As my application will use SWT (&RCP), I'm looking for a "better"
alternative. Does anyone of you know which classes could be of
interest for me?

Thanx for your help
Dominik

Joshua Cranmer

Dominik wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
> display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).
>
> One requirement is that it is possible to display different fonts,
> text size, text color, text-decoration, images, tables with or without
> borders/colors , links, background color, indent, numbering, bullets
> etc.
>
> I know about the RTFEditorKit and the HTMLEditorKit from the swing
> packages ...and of their limitations.
>
> As my application will use SWT (&RCP), I'm looking for a "better"
> alternative. Does anyone of you know which classes could be of
> interest for me?
>
> Thanx for your help
> Dominik

http://books.evc-cit.info/odf_utils/index.html.

Like any other file format, googling "java <file format>" will generally
give you a library to read/write the file format. If you wanted to write
a simple one yourself, the ODF is an XML based format in a ZIP
container, reading/writing of which Java handles quite well natively.

Dominik

Hi,

> http://books.evc-cit.info/odf_utils/index.html.

Thanx for the link. Might become usefull in the future.

> Like any other file format, googling "java <file format>" will generally
> give you a library to read/write the file format.

But for now I'm looking for an *EDITOR* (not a library or tools to
write an editor). I'm trying to avoid doing all the work with writing
the gui-components to display a ODF/RTF Document by reusing an editor
that already exists (and probably has its own ways of reading/writing
to/from the files).

The part that I'm really interested in is not the reading/writing to/
from an ODF file, but reusing the editors in-memory representation of
the loaded document and the methods used to modify the document (in-
memory).

I allready tried with HTMLEditorKit/RTFEditorKit (et.al.) but as I
wrote above, their too limited and buggy for my use. The writer from
OpenOffice on the other hand might just be a bit too big, complex and
powerfull (despite the fact that it is written in C).

> If you wanted to write
> a simple one yourself, the ODF is an XML based format in a ZIP
> container, reading/writing of which Java handles quite well natively.

I hope it won't be necessary to do that myself. There's plenty of
other features that I have to worry about.

Cheers,
Dominik

Chris Uppal

Dominik wrote:

> I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
> display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).

Maybe one of Ephox's components would fit the bill.

http://www.ephox.com/products/

(I have never used any of them myself so I can't comment on quality, value for
money, suitability, etc...)

-- chris

Dominik

hi chris,

thanx for the link.

> Maybe one of Ephox's components would fit the bill.
>
> http://www.ephox.com/products/

from a first look it seems that ephox "only" edits html files/code but
not odf- or rtf-documents. but that's still better than the
HTMLEditorKit et.al. I guess.

cheers,
dominik