Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot access other Computer

Cannot access other Computer

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FybGJlY2s=?=

I have my desktop connected to a Linksys WRT54GS Router. I have shared one
disk drive as well as my printer.
My laptop is connected wirelessly with WPA security. WPA in the Laptop AND
the Router are the same.
The SSID is the same in both my Laptop and my Router.
I am running XP Pro on the Desktop and XP Home on the Laptop.
I can connect to the internet from the laptop and/or the desktop.

On my Laptop, when I click on: My Network Places – Microsoft Windows Network
– then Mshome: It cannot find ANY other Mshome computers.

I also cannot see my laptop from my desktop.

Can anyone offer some help here?????

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you are able to use the Internet from all computers than you trouble has
nothing to do with Wireless, it is a haring issue.
May be this can Help, successful Sharing involves some general consideration
in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Basic XP -
Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"carlbeck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have my desktop connected to a Linksys WRT54GS Router. I have shared one
> disk drive as well as my printer.
> My laptop is connected wirelessly with WPA security. WPA in the Laptop
> AND
> the Router are the same.
> The SSID is the same in both my Laptop and my Router.
> I am running XP Pro on the Desktop and XP Home on the Laptop.
> I can connect to the internet from the laptop and/or the desktop.
>
> On my Laptop, when I click on: My Network Places - Microsoft Windows
> Network
> - then Mshome: It cannot find ANY other Mshome computers.
>
> I also cannot see my laptop from my desktop.
>
> Can anyone offer some help here?????

=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=

Install the printer on the Host PC. Then using Control Panel | Network
enable File & Printer Sharing and make sure you check the box to allow
others to print to your printers. Next under Start | Settings | Printers,
select the printer, check the box to share the printer and assign a name.
Keep the name short and do not include any blanks.

You should now be able to add the printer to your Guest PCs using Start |
Settings | Printers & Faxes | Add Printer. Check the radio button "A
network printer ..." and then either browse for the printer or enter its
name (using \\PCName\PrinterName) and continue until finished. Ensure
that the firewall on your XP PC is set to allow access to remote printers.
If using XP's native firewall ensure that File and Printer Sharing is
enabled and that the box with he same name is checked in the Firewall
exceptions list. The PCName can be found at:

Start>ControlPanel>System>Computer Name tab. It may look something
like: "Home-66djksjcpv". Don't type the quotes.
Click "Next" and it should install the printer on the Guest PC when
it finds it.

Note: You can follow the same procedure to get access to
"Files" from one PC to the other.

Hope this simple info statement helps. :~)
--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"carlbeck" wrote:

> I have my desktop connected to a Linksys WRT54GS Router. I have shared one
> disk drive as well as my printer.
> My laptop is connected wirelessly with WPA security. WPA in the Laptop AND
> the Router are the same.
> The SSID is the same in both my Laptop and my Router.
> I am running XP Pro on the Desktop and XP Home on the Laptop.
> I can connect to the internet from the laptop and/or the desktop.
>
> On my Laptop, when I click on: My Network Places – Microsoft Windows Network
> – then Mshome: It cannot find ANY other Mshome computers.
>
> I also cannot see my laptop from my desktop.
>
> Can anyone offer some help here?????

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBQaGFyZQ==?=

Hi I'm having the same problems with my laptop not being able to file share
with my desk PC even though both can access the internet (laptop is
wireless). Did you manage to fix the problem?

I tried Ping from one to the other and the laptopp couldn't ping the PC but
PC could ping the laptop. Results below:

Paul

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\PAULPH~1>ping 192.168.2.3

Pinging 192.168.2.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.3:

C:\DOCUME~1\PAULPH~1>ping 192.168.2.2

Pinging 192.168.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.2:

C:\DOCUME~1\PAULPH~1>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

C:\DOCUME~1\PAULPH~1>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::217:3fff:fe29:65f0%4

Ethernet adapter BT Broadband:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.2%2

C:\DOCUME~1\PAULPH~1>

"carlbeck" wrote:

> I have my desktop connected to a Linksys WRT54GS Router. I have shared one
> disk drive as well as my printer.
> My laptop is connected wirelessly with WPA security. WPA in the Laptop AND
> the Router are the same.
> The SSID is the same in both my Laptop and my Router.
> I am running XP Pro on the Desktop and XP Home on the Laptop.
> I can connect to the internet from the laptop and/or the desktop.
>
> On my Laptop, when I click on: My Network Places – Microsoft Windows Network
> – then Mshome: It cannot find ANY other Mshome computers.
>
> I also cannot see my laptop from my desktop.
>
> Can anyone offer some help here?????

Tim

I am having the same issue. Using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with two laptops (XP Home and XP Pro) and a desktop (XP Home), can all connect to the internet, but not to each other.

I can ping the router, but not the other computers. In fact, on an XP Home machine, I don't even get a response when I ping myself (the computer I'm on). How much sense does that make? I can ping myself on the XP Pro machine without any issue.

I've setup networks time and again on NT, 98, 2K, and XP Pro. This is the first time I've really messed with XP Home. The Windows Firewall is turned off. Is there some other setting I'm missing? It has to be something really simple that I'm missing.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com