Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > 03 numbers

03 numbers

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Paul Cupis wrote:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
> was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
> available to endusers in 2-3 months.

Right, OK thanks!

Gordon Henderson

In article <45f740e9.0@entanet>, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>pugwash wrote:
>> I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

>03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.

And were'nt 056 numbers suppsoed to be the same way too? Whatever happened
to them?

Gordon

Brian A

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:34:10 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

>Paul Cupis wrote:
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>>> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

>> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
>> was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
>> available to endusers in 2-3 months.

>Right, OK thanks!

The old non-geo 0345 numbers are current 'Lo-call' aren't they ? -
like 0845s ?
Some of the water companies such as 'Yorkshire Water' still use them
for example.
OfWat themselves have 0345 581658
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Adrian

On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> Paul Cupis wrote:
> > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> >> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

> > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
> > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
> > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

> Right, OK thanks!

So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
areas?

Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
'03*' codes.

Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?

Adrian

Spin Dryer

On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-

>On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Paul Cupis wrote:

>> > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
>> > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
>> > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

>> Right, OK thanks!

>So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
>areas?
>
>Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
>measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
>'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
>area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
>codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
>using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
>'03*' codes.
>
>Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
>from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?
>
>Adrian

What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.

Adrian

On Mar 14, 11:17 am, Spin Dryer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-
>

> >On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Right, OK thanks!

> >So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
> >areas?

> >Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
> >measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
> >'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
> >area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
> >codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
> >using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
> >'03*' codes.

> >Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
> >from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?

> >Adrian

> What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
> about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.- Hide quoted text -

Well thank you for that lucid and helpful reply Electricky Dicky, err
Bart Bailey, Massimo, Stefan L, Mister Bartlett, GoNads, or whatever
naming you are trolling under today.

<Plonk!>

Graham

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:34:10 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Paul Cupis wrote:
>>>
>>> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
>>> was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
>>> available to endusers in 2-3 months.

>>Right, OK thanks!

> The old non-geo 0345 numbers are current 'Lo-call' aren't they ? -
> like 0845s ?
> Some of the water companies such as 'Yorkshire Water' still use them
> for example.
> OfWat themselves have 0345 581658
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

0345 finished years ago.
Looking at the OfWat website, all their numbers are 0121,
not a non-geo in sight. Well done OfWat!

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

stephen

"Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45f740b7.0@entanet...
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> > Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week was
> the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become available
> to endusers in 2-3 months.

in effect - some numbers are already allocated.

the Ofcom page mentions that some numbers are reserved, so that companies
already using 08xx can get an equivalent 03 number where all they do is
change 8 -> 3.

See 1.17 in
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...ing03/summary/

--
Regards

R. Mark Clayton

"Spin Dryer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-
>
>>On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
>><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Right, OK thanks!

>>So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
>>areas?
>>
>>Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
>>measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
>>'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
>>area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
>>codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
>>using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
>>'03*' codes.
>>
>>Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
>>from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?
>>
>>Adrian

> What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
> about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.

Have a look at what he responded to!

Well the North American Numbering Plan was devised about 60 years ago and
whilst some new area codes have been added and the central digit of the area
code can now be other than zero or one, it has lasted well down to today.

In the UK we have had area codes based on exchange names, then all number
and at least two major renumbering schemes for London in the last twenty
years. Large parts of the rest of the country has been radically changed as
well.

So what does anyone in the US know about number plans - a lot more than
anyone in the UK!

Martin Jay

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Adrian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Paul Cupis wrote:

>> > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
>> > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
>> > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

>> Right, OK thanks!

>So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
>areas?

That's probably not very likely. There seems to be a trend against
using geographic numbers amongst businesses and that will probably be
mirrored by residential users sometime.

Now that the majority of UK call charges are not based on distance there
isn't really much incentive to strictly assign areas of the country
specific dialling codes. Many customers would probably like to take
their current phone number with them when they move.

>Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
>measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
>'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
>area codes with 8 digit numbers.

IIRC this idea was mooted by OFTEL some time ago, and Northern Ireland
already follows this system by only having one dialling code.

But customers are unhappy about having their numbers changed (again), so
I think the idea was put on ice.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877