Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor 16x9

Monitor 16x9

il barbi

I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the
usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
proportions without having to modify the files?
il barbi

gpaleo

Ο "il barbi" <(E-Mail Removed)> έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news:45f70d7f$0$10619$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
> the usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the
> correct proportions without having to modify the files?
> il barbi

The software you are using to see your pix will have display options that
will be useful to you.

Jim Townsend

il barbi wrote:

> I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the
> usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
> proportions without having to modify the files?
> il barbi

You have to set the graphics card in your computer to the same aspect
ratio as your new wide screen.

If you don't do this, the monitor will widen the image to fit the whole
screen and it will look like it's been stretched.

A common resolution for wide flat panel displays is 1680 X 1050.

NOTE that not all computer graphics cards can display non 4:3 ratios.
You might have to install a new video card.....

ray

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:

> I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the
> usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
> proportions without having to modify the files?
> il barbi

Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ray
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:
>
> > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
> > the
> > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
> > proportions without having to modify the files?
> > il barbi

> Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

Your monitor should not do that, unless you have some funky settings
somewhere in your display settings.

You must have a preference set somewhere to stretch your images in
whatever program you are using - unless you are using an LCD screen
that also functions as TV screen, and then there are settings (usually
in the setup menu) that do the automatic stretching/comression from
"letterbox" (4:3) to/from "widescreen" (16x9) when one or the other is
not present. Disable that setting and things should be fine.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

il barbi

"Ken Lucke" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:130320071608258425%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ray
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:
>>
>> > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted
>> > with
>> > the
>> > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the
>> > correct
>> > proportions without having to modify the files?
>> > il barbi

>> Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

> Your monitor should not do that, unless you have some funky settings
> somewhere in your display settings.
>
> You must have a preference set somewhere to stretch your images in
> whatever program you are using - unless you are using an LCD screen
> that also functions as TV screen, and then there are settings (usually
> in the setup menu) that do the automatic stretching/comression from
> "letterbox" (4:3) to/from "widescreen" (16x9) when one or the other is
> not present. Disable that setting and things should be fine.

I refer to the image viewer of Windows XP - now I'm not able to find any
control compressing authomatically the image to the ratio 4:3 - I wonder if
other people have the same problem or if it's only mine...
il barbi

Neil Harrington

"il barbi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45f70d7f$0$10619$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I have a 16x9 type monitor

16:10, I think you mean. Widescreen TVs are 16:9, but every widescreen
monitor I've seen has been 16:10. Close, but not quite as wide.

> which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the usual proportion 4x3 -
> is there a simple way to see them with the correct proportions without
> having to modify the files?
> il barbi

The drivers for your graphics card (unless it's a real oldie) should have a
control that allows you to keep the original aspect ratio, which will
correct your stretched width problem. If you can't find it, reply here with
details about your graphics card and drivers, and probably one of us can
help you.

Neil

il barbi

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> il barbi wrote:
>
>> I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
>> the
>> usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
>> proportions without having to modify the files?
>> il barbi

> You have to set the graphics card in your computer to the same aspect
> ratio as your new wide screen.
>
> If you don't do this, the monitor will widen the image to fit the whole
> screen and it will look like it's been stretched.
>
> A common resolution for wide flat panel displays is 1680 X 1050.
>
> NOTE that not all computer graphics cards can display non 4:3 ratios.
> You might have to install a new video card.....

ok you are right! I had video resolution 1024x768 which is the ratio of my
previous 4:3 screen... now I set 1152x720 (ratio 1,6) and all is ok
thank you
il barbi