Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WIC-1DSU-T1

WIC-1DSU-T1

SheddTec

We are ordering a bonded 3Mb T1, can the WIC-1DSU-T1 handle 3Mb? Will
I have to do any configuration?

Smokey

SheddTec wrote:
> We are ordering a bonded 3Mb T1, can the WIC-1DSU-T1 handle 3Mb? Will
> I have to do any configuration?

Just thinking outloud, but a T1 is a 1.54MBS pipe, if you are getting a
bonded 3MB link then you will need 2 WIC's.

SheddTec

On Mar 13, 10:37 am, Smokey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SheddTec wrote:
> > We are ordering a bonded 3Mb T1, can the WIC-1DSU-T1 handle 3Mb? Will
> > I have to do any configuration?

> Just thinking outloud, but a T1 is a 1.54MBS pipe, if you are getting a
> bonded 3MB link then you will need 2 WIC's.

I wasn't sure, I have never dealt with a bonded T1 before and they are
saying they will be doing the bonding with their routers, which sounds
like the config on my end wont change. I'm not sure if the wic will
support that or if I need a different card or an additional card.

Smokey

SheddTec wrote:
> On Mar 13, 10:37 am, Smokey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SheddTec wrote:
>>> We are ordering a bonded 3Mb T1, can the WIC-1DSU-T1 handle 3Mb? Will
>>> I have to do any configuration?

>> Just thinking outloud, but a T1 is a 1.54MBS pipe, if you are getting a
>> bonded 3MB link then you will need 2 WIC's.

> I wasn't sure, I have never dealt with a bonded T1 before and they are
> saying they will be doing the bonding with their routers, which sounds
> like the config on my end wont change. I'm not sure if the wic will
> support that or if I need a different card or an additional card.

In a config I just setup, we had 2 T-1's and they terminated into the 2
WIC's in the router, in my config, depending on what type of circuit you
are getting, I used a multilink configuration to accomplish this below
is a snippet of my config: (This is a 2610 router)

!
!
interface Multilink1
ip address WAN_IP 255.255.255.252
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink fragment disable
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address LAN_IP 255.255.255.240
duplex auto
speed auto
no cdp enable
no mop enabled
!
interface Serial0/0
description T1 to USLEC S0/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip mroute-cache
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/1
description T1 to USLEC S0/1
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip mroute-cache
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

Doug McIntyre

"SheddTec" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On Mar 13, 10:37 am, Smokey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SheddTec wrote:
>> > We are ordering a bonded 3Mb T1, can the WIC-1DSU-T1 handle 3Mb? Will
>> > I have to do any configuration?

>> Just thinking outloud, but a T1 is a 1.54MBS pipe, if you are getting a
>> bonded 3MB link then you will need 2 WIC's.

>I wasn't sure, I have never dealt with a bonded T1 before and they are
>saying they will be doing the bonding with their routers, which sounds
>like the config on my end wont change. I'm not sure if the wic will
>support that or if I need a different card or an additional card.

IMHO, you should ask "they" what are proposing for your handoff and
plan appropriately.

A single WIC-1DSU-T1 handles 1.544Mbps. There's no way to pump data
into it any faster, as it only talks T1. Now, if you had a WIC-1T
instead, you should be able to go up to 8Mbps over its DB60 port if
they hand you off a synch serial connection of whatever their bonding
device is.

Or, if you had two WIC-1DSU-T1, you could do either MLPPP or
per-packet CEF load balancing out both WIC-1DSU-T1s. This is the most
common option for multi-T1 solutions.

But, I'd ask "they" for what they are handing off to you, not try to guess.

RC

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45f6fe5d$0$27531$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> "SheddTec" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>
>>> Just thinking outloud, but a T1 is a 1.54MBS pipe, if you are getting a
>>> bonded 3MB link then you will need 2 WIC's.

>>I wasn't sure, I have never dealt with a bonded T1 before and they are
>>saying they will be doing the bonding with their routers, which sounds
>>like the config on my end wont change. I'm not sure if the wic will
>>support that or if I need a different card or an additional card.

> IMHO, you should ask "they" what are proposing for your handoff and
> plan appropriately.
>
> A single WIC-1DSU-T1 handles 1.544Mbps. There's no way to pump data
> into it any faster, as it only talks T1. Now, if you had a WIC-1T
> instead, you should be able to go up to 8Mbps over its DB60 port if
> they hand you off a synch serial connection of whatever their bonding
> device is.
>
> Or, if you had two WIC-1DSU-T1, you could do either MLPPP or
> per-packet CEF load balancing out both WIC-1DSU-T1s. This is the most
> common option for multi-T1 solutions.
>
> But, I'd ask "they" for what they are handing off to you, not try to
> guess.

The bonded T1s I've seen so far are delivered by the carrier as T1s if they
aren't doing the bonding and Ethernet if they are. Basically they provide a
router with multiple T1s and then pass it on to me as Ethernet.

Smokey

Doug McIntyre wrote:

> But, I'd ask "they" for what they are handing off to you, not try to guess.

Good point Doug....

SheddTec

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been reluctant to call the
company providing the service, just because I hate waiting on hold.
But yea, it looks like some coordination is in order. I will try to
remember to post what the outcome is.