Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can partitioning a disk reduce booting trouble?

Can partitioning a disk reduce booting trouble?

joshidm@gmail.com

Please redirect me if I have stumbled on wrong Group.

Blue screen causes lot of trouble to me.

If I partition the primary disk into size sufficient for operating
system and rest of the size, would my troubles reduce?

Almost exclusibely my troubles are with win2k.

When disk has free space there is always temtation to put other things
on it. Thought by having nothing but OS on C: partition I may get out
of booting trouble to some extent.

Thanks.

Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:27:03 -0700, joshidm wrote:

> Please redirect me if I have stumbled on wrong Group.
>
> Blue screen causes lot of trouble to me.
>
> If I partition the primary disk into size sufficient for operating
> system and rest of the size, would my troubles reduce?
>
> Almost exclusibely my troubles are with win2k.
>
> When disk has free space there is always temtation to put other things
> on it. Thought by having nothing but OS on C: partition I may get out
> of booting trouble to some extent.

No.

COOSN-266-06-25794

joshidm@gmail.com

On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> No.
>
> COOSN-266-06-25794

Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
extent.

Bob I

No, only identifying and resolving the cause of the problem, will stop
the booting trouble.

> Please redirect me if I have stumbled on wrong Group.
>
> Blue screen causes lot of trouble to me.
>
> If I partition the primary disk into size sufficient for operating
> system and rest of the size, would my troubles reduce?
>
> Almost exclusibely my troubles are with win2k.
>
> When disk has free space there is always temtation to put other things
> on it. Thought by having nothing but OS on C: partition I may get out
> of booting trouble to some extent.
>
> Thanks.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:13:55 -0700, joshidm wrote:

> On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> No.
>> --
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>
>> COOSN-266-06-25794

> Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
> partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
> extent.

Need to figure out the source you your system stops. How about posting the
Stop Error(s) listed on the blue screen?

COOSN-266-06-25794

joshidm@gmail.com

> > On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> >> No.
> >> --
> >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

> >> COOSN-266-06-25794

> > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:13:55 -0700, joshidm wrote:
> > Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
> > partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
> > extent.

> On 13 Mar, 16:55, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Need to figure out the source you your system stops. How about posting the
> Stop Error(s) listed on the blue screen?

I am a kind of low level worjer in the game. I read out the error on
phone and get told to remove the disk which eventually gets formated
and freshly set up with OS.

I should have taken down the the long number of the error and 5/6
lines that appear below it.

Two things I remember, one is possibility of virus and another is look
into manual.

I am certainly going to copy the whole thing next time it appears on
next machine ( though how I wish it will never appear).

Regards,
DMJoshi

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
> partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
> extent.

If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move it
to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other important
things, it may make a reinstall less painful.
However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot on
error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

joshidm@gmail.com

On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move it
> to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other important
> things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary
disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go
in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

> However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
> What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot on
> error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
restarted or repowered.

> --
> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

WhzzKdd

"Geoff Fitton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:et8a64$pqh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk.

> Where did you get that idea ?

I believe you misunderstood. The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic
grammer skills. I think he meant to say "When I have reinstalled in the
past, I have always reformatted the whole disk." So he's asking if he should
partition the disk, so next time he only has to format the boot partition,
leaving the data partition intact.

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move
>> it to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other
>> important things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

> Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary

Is it a policy you are talking about?

> disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go

Uhm. No, there has to be at least one partition.

> in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
> will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
> option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

I lost you now. You don't mean partitioning helps to get worn-out disks
working a bit longer, don't you? *banging my forehead against ... let it be
a pillow*

>> However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
>> What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot
>> on error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

> There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
> restarted or repowered.

You mean, the machine has the bluescreen at startup and that one stays long
enough you can write it down? Usually that happens with the
dreaded "unmountable_boot_device" and similar fatal errors only.
So why not do write it down to keep our crystal balls clear?