Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > MPLS Vs. Point to Point

MPLS Vs. Point to Point

tmed

What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits? I
know MPLS offers a Mesh.

Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no
difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router
interfaces of a point to point circuit.

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You

briggs@encompasserve.org

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "tmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits? I
> know MPLS offers a Mesh.
>
> Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no
> difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router
> interfaces of a point to point circuit.

My $0.02 worth...

It's partly a question of who does the QoS. You or the carrier.
QoS is about managing congestion. When packets are going to get
dropped, you want to be able to choose which packets they are.

In a point to point network, you're in control. The congestion
problems are going to occur on your routers. You (for example)
have a high speed Ethernet coming into your router and you need
to funnel it down a narrow pipe to your carrier. But the carrier
is not going to be dropping anything once it gets into the pipe.
So you apply a QoS policy on your router(s) and you're done.

[If the carrier is delivering a virtual point to point circuit and
their underlying network is congested, this ideal scenario may not
apply and the carrier may still be dropping your frames].

In a meshed network, you're not in control. You still have
congestion possibilities at your edge routers where you choke down
from an Ethernet LAN to the carrier's tail circuit at the source
site and you still have to deal with those issues yourself. But in
addition you now have the problem that many of your sites may be
sourcing traffic directed to a single destination site, overloading that
site's tail circuit. The carrier has to decide what traffic gets
dropped at that choke point.

So if you're putting together a fully meshed MPLS network, it's
important to know how the carrier can support your QoS policy
on their equipment. In general, you tag the frames and the carrier
applies the policy. Depending on the carrier there may be restrictions
on the tags they support and the policies they can implement for you.

Brian V

"tmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits? I
> know MPLS offers a Mesh.
>
> Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no
> difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router
> interfaces of a point to point circuit.
>

> All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You

The price, typically run about 2/3rds.

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Brian!
You wrote on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:47:50 -0400:

??>> What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point
??>> circuits? I know MPLS offers a Mesh.
??>>
??>> Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no
??>> difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the
??>> router interfaces of a point to point circuit.
??>>
??>> All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You
??>>
BV> The price, typically run about 2/3rds.

Important note - nominal price. Actual price can be higher and highly depends on
carrier's QoS policy.

With best regards,
Andrey.

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate the online AT&T MPLS Presentation:

http://www.bradreese.com/att-mpls-presentation.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco
Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet
http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/

stephen

"tmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits?

you are really comparing apples with oranges.

MPLS access links would normally use a point to point circuit anyway.

MPLS proper is the "cloud" bit operated by the carrier

in most setups the label switching bit is only within the carrier core
network, and will not go as far as a customer site - so they could be
plugging all those access links into a central router instead....

> know MPLS offers a Mesh.

some services do - it sounds like you are referring to a L3 VPN over MPLS.

But some MPLS services across are point to point - Ethernet L2 circuit
emulation is common.

> Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no
> difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router
> interfaces of a point to point circuit.

The access links to / from a customer site run IP, so no difference.

The MPLS core QoS field inside a label is only 3 bits, so the "native" per
packet QoS is less rich than say DSCP.

Since the backbone tends to be much faster than customer access links that
may not matter (as if you never have packets building up in a Q there is not
much QoS can do to re-order traffic).

Some MPLS backbones dont do any QoS handling in the core, but just at the PE
router where customer links meet the high bandwidth bit, since it is
sometimes simpler and easier for the carrier to throw bandwidth at the
problem

--
Regards

MEhta MEhta is offline
Junior Member

IN MPLS you not require to update information about other VPN whers in POint to POInt VPN in your router how data will flow. what about other VPN infomration is with every router. so Hardware resopurces like CPU and Memorary is more in Point to Point Circuit as compared to MPLS.

.