Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Security attacks you can't stop: targeted Office attacks

Security attacks you can't stop: targeted Office attacks

Au79

PC World Canada - Scarborough,Ontario,Canada

In mid-December, Microsoft confirmed that Word contained two such
vulnerabilities that crackers exploited ...

<http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/47927e000a010408001a024c659606d3/pg0.htm>
http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

Fuzzy Logic

Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tApJh.328802$(E-Mail Removed):

> PC World Canada - Scarborough,Ontario,Canada
>
> In mid-December, Microsoft confirmed that Word contained two such
> vulnerabilities that crackers exploited ...
>
><http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/47927e000a010408001a024c659606d3/pg0.htm>

Easy work around. DONT OPEN UNSOLICITED ATTACHMENTS!!!

Interesting tidbit at the end of the above article:

During the first half of 2006, according to Symantec's September 2006 Internet Threat Security Report,
Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the fastest patch development time for commercial operating systems: an
average time of 13 days.

Au79

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tApJh.328802$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> PC World Canada - Scarborough,Ontario,Canada
>>
>> In mid-December, Microsoft confirmed that Word contained two such
>> vulnerabilities that crackers exploited ...
>>
>><http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/47927e000a010408001a024c659606d3/pg0.htm>

> Easy work around. DONT OPEN UNSOLICITED ATTACHMENTS!!!

Exploits do not need to originate from unsolicited attachments.

> Interesting tidbit at the end of the above article:
>
> During the first half of 2006, according to Symantec's September 2006
> Internet Threat Security Report, Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the
> fastest patch development time for commercial operating systems: an
> average time of 13 days.

Beats Microsoft performance by magnitudes.

Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:mrVJh.1108$(E-Mail Removed):

> Fuzzy Logic wrote:
>
>> Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tApJh.328802$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> PC World Canada - Scarborough,Ontario,Canada
>>>
>>> In mid-December, Microsoft confirmed that Word contained two such
>>> vulnerabilities that crackers exploited ...
>>>
>>><http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/47...4c659606d3/pg0.
>>>htm>

>> Easy work around. DONT OPEN UNSOLICITED ATTACHMENTS!!!
>>

> Exploits do not need to originate from unsolicited attachments.

This one does.

>> Interesting tidbit at the end of the above article:
>>
>> During the first half of 2006, according to Symantec's September 2006
>> Internet Threat Security Report, Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the
>> fastest patch development time for commercial operating systems: an
>> average time of 13 days.

> Beats Microsoft performance by magnitudes.

Huh? I will minimize the quote so you can understand it:

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:mrVJh.1108$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Fuzzy Logic wrote:

>>> Easy work around. DONT OPEN UNSOLICITED ATTACHMENTS!!!
>>>

>> Exploits do not need to originate from unsolicited attachments.

> This one does.
>
>>> Interesting tidbit at the end of the above article:
>>>
>>> During the first half of 2006, according to Symantec's September 2006
>>> Internet Threat Security Report, Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the
>>> fastest patch development time for commercial operating systems: an
>>> average time of 13 days.

>> Beats Microsoft performance by magnitudes.

> Huh? I will minimize the quote so you can understand it:
>
> Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the fastest patch development time for
> commercial operating systems

You are the one that seems to have problems understanding (thus the 'fuzzy'
in your logic, I guess). Microsoft l-e-a-v-e-s u-n-p-a-t-c-h-e-d
v-u-l-n-e-r-a-b-i-l-i-t-i-e-s o-p-e-n.

Performance in patch development is fine if you actually get to patch your
crappy software and not leave half of them unresolved.

Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:68jKh.21422$(E-Mail Removed):

> Fuzzy Logic wrote:
>
>> Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:mrVJh.1108$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Exploits do not need to originate from unsolicited attachments.

>> This one does.

>>> Beats Microsoft performance by magnitudes.

>> Huh? I will minimize the quote so you can understand it:
>>
>> Microsoft tied Red Hat Linux for the fastest patch development time for
>> commercial operating systems

> You are the one that seems to have problems understanding (thus the 'fuzzy'
> in your logic, I guess). Microsoft l-e-a-v-e-s u-n-p-a-t-c-h-e-d
> v-u-l-n-e-r-a-b-i-l-i-t-i-e-s o-p-e-n.
>
> Performance in patch development is fine if you actually get to patch your
> crappy software and not leave half of them unresolved.

I am sure a patch will be forthcoming when it's thoroughly tested.

Again a simple workaround, that everyone should be doing in the first place, is don't open unsolicited
attachments.

PS fuzzy logic in laymen's terms means that things are not black and white. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic