Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 3 Quick(?!?) Questions

Reply
Thread Tools

3 Quick(?!?) Questions

 
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
Hi All,

I'm knew around here so please excuse me, however I'm stuck with a few
things.

As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.

Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc. Can anyone
help me out with the following:

http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm

1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
hyperlinks. Splitting the image maybe?

2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. When the page gets
longer the content div just keeps going down the page, what I want is for
the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red border) no matter
what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).
I want the content layer to scroll, not the whole page. I'm not sure I've
explained clear there actually.
- Page to be displayed without main scrolling bar
- Container division (the whole white area) to be x% size - lets say 80%
- Content layer to scroll down if the content becomes too much

3. Margins. Defining CSS margins sends the layout funny. I would like to
indent the text, and poster image so that they are not so close to the edge.

Many thanks for your help!

Neil


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
In article <et4tf4$r77$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dr. Compynei" <compynei*isnt*@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I'm knew around here so please excuse me, however I'm stuck with a few
> things.


What did you do when you came in, knock the vase over or
something?

> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.
>


You are unlikely to be needing XHTML then, stick to 4.01 Strict
for a while

> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc. Can anyone
> help me out with the following:
>
> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>
> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
> hyperlinks. Splitting the image maybe?
>


You can image map, meaning you define areas of one image (no
"splitting") by coordinates and link to the areas. You can google
up and have a go first on this.

But don't bother in your case, the nav div is best to be a simple
inline list. An image is bad for this purpose, at least for the
good reason that it does not scale.

Look at:

<http://alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/>

> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. When the page gets
> longer the content div just keeps going down the page, what I want is for
> the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red border) no matter
> what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).


You will buy yourself more problems and trouble achieving this.
Let it scroll and keep it simple.

> 3. Margins. Defining CSS margins sends the layout funny. I would like to
> indent the text, and poster image so that they are not so close to the edge.
>


How do other sites that you admire do this? Have you looked? If
you want a canvas area then one way to do it is very simple, you
wrap all your code under the body in a wrapper div and set the
margin for this wrapper in px or in em. Try it and see what you
like. It is not a bad look done with modest numbers for some
sites. Take a look at the css instruction of "margin" and set for
all sides as you like, eg:

#wrapper {margin:5px 20px 5px 20px;}

This gets top, right, bottom and left respectively.

As for grace with text within the wrapper and other boxes, apply
a modest bit of padding, best in em.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chaddy2222
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007



"Dr. Compynei" <compynei*isnt*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:et4tf4$r77$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm knew around here so please excuse me, however I'm stuck with a few
> things.
>
> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.
>

Why?
You should use Strict as it's a new project.

> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc. Can anyone
> help me out with the following:
>
> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>

For a start, you should end all file names with .html as Unix / Linux
servers are case sensitive.

> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
> hyperlinks. Splitting the image maybe?
>


Ug, use text links and style them with CSS.

> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. >When the page
> gets longer the content div just keeps going down the page, >what I want
> is for the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red >border) no
> matter what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).
> I want the content layer to scroll, not the whole page. >I'm not sure I've
> explained clear there actually.
> - Page to be displayed without main scrolling bar
> - Container division (the whole white area) to be x% >size - lets say 80%
> - Content layer to scroll down if the content becomes too much
>
> 3. Margins. Defining CSS margins sends the layout >funny. I would like
> to indent the text, and poster image so that they are not so >close to the
> edge.
>
> Many thanks for your help!
>
> Neil
>

You could start by using % or me units for all elements, including
font-size, PT is for printing.
Then just remove the width of everything and make the container div how ever
big you want it. Then just add margins and padding where necessary.

--
Regards Chad.
http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Saunderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:31:41 GMT, "Chaddy2222" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
> >

> For a start, you should end all file names with .html as Unix / Linux
> servers are case sensitive.


Yes, I can certainly see the logic here.

--
Steven
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
Chaddy2222 wrote:

> For a start, you should end all file names with .html as Unix / Linux
> servers are case sensitive.


Huh? That's a non-sequitur.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007

"Bergamot" wrote:
> Dr. Compynei wrote:
>>
>> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
>> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
>> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.

>
> Were you instructed to use XHTML Transitional? If so, your instructor is
> incompetent.


Yes I was! Not for this specific project, but for a similar website, just
different content.
The instructor is a leading figure on sitepoint I believe.

>
>> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc.
>>
>> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>>
>> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
>> hyperlinks.

>
> As someone else mentioned, the most accessible method would be plain
> text links styled with CSS. Using list mark up for navigation menus has
> become the accepted norm.
> http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/
>
> You can embellish with background graphics to get pretty much the same
> effect as the site has now and still be scalable with varying window and
> text sizes, but that is a bit advanced for a newbie. Keep it simple and
> you'll get better results.


Thanks for that, I will work with it.

>
>> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. When the page
>> gets
>> longer the content div just keeps going down the page, what I want is for
>> the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red border) no matter
>> what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).

>
> Stop wanting this. If you're dropping layout tables for accessibility
> reasons, putting in a scrolling div would be substituting one
> accessibility problem with another, perhaps worse one. Scrolling divs
> are a navigation nightmare for keyboard users. They are cumbersome at
> best, unusable at worse.


That clears alot up. Many thanks for this.

> Were you instructed to use a scrolling div, too?


No . Just a thought.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007

"Chaddy2222" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45f6454a$1@wasat...
>
>
>
> "Dr. Compynei" <compynei*isnt*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:et4tf4$r77$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm knew around here so please excuse me, however I'm stuck with a few
>> things.
>>
>> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
>> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
>> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.
>>

> Why?
> You should use Strict as it's a new project.


We were instructed to use transitional. But I shall move away from this

>
>> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc. Can anyone
>> help me out with the following:
>>
>> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>>

> For a start, you should end all file names with .html as Unix / Linux
> servers are case sensitive.
>
>> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
>> hyperlinks. Splitting the image maybe?
>>

>
> Ug, use text links and style them with CSS.
>
>> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. >When the page
>> gets longer the content div just keeps going down the page, >what I want
>> is for the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red >border)
>> no matter what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).
>> I want the content layer to scroll, not the whole page. >I'm not sure
>> I've explained clear there actually.
>> - Page to be displayed without main scrolling bar
>> - Container division (the whole white area) to be x% >size - lets say 80%
>> - Content layer to scroll down if the content becomes too much
>>
>> 3. Margins. Defining CSS margins sends the layout >funny. I would like
>> to indent the text, and poster image so that they are not so >close to
>> the edge.
>>
>> Many thanks for your help!
>>
>> Neil
>>


> You could start by using % or me units for all elements, including
> font-size, PT is for printing.
> Then just remove the width of everything and make the container div how
> ever big you want it. Then just add margins and padding where necessary.


Thanks for the info, I'll keep playing!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <et4tf4$r77$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Dr. Compynei" <compynei*isnt*@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm knew around here so please excuse me, however I'm stuck with a few
>> things.

>
> What did you do when you came in, knock the vase over or
> something?


It was more of, an excuse me as I'm not exactly sure how this group works.

>
>> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
>> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
>> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.
>>

>
> You are unlikely to be needing XHTML then, stick to 4.01 Strict
> for a while


Being taught int XHTML so it seems sensible to move that way.

>
>> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc. Can anyone
>> help me out with the following:
>>
>> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>>
>> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
>> hyperlinks. Splitting the image maybe?
>>

>
> You can image map, meaning you define areas of one image (no
> "splitting") by coordinates and link to the areas. You can google
> up and have a go first on this.


Yes, I've done this before, but I was wondering how was best to do it within
this project.

> But don't bother in your case, the nav div is best to be a simple
> inline list. An image is bad for this purpose, at least for the
> good reason that it does not scale.
>
> Look at:
>
> <http://alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/>


And theres the answer. Thanks, I'll read up.

>> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. When the page
>> gets
>> longer the content div just keeps going down the page, what I want is for
>> the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red border) no matter
>> what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).

>
> You will buy yourself more problems and trouble achieving this.
> Let it scroll and keep it simple.


Will do

>> 3. Margins. Defining CSS margins sends the layout funny. I would like
>> to
>> indent the text, and poster image so that they are not so close to the
>> edge.
>>

>
> How do other sites that you admire do this? Have you looked? If
> you want a canvas area then one way to do it is very simple, you
> wrap all your code under the body in a wrapper div and set the
> margin for this wrapper in px or in em. Try it and see what you
> like. It is not a bad look done with modest numbers for some
> sites. Take a look at the css instruction of "margin" and set for
> all sides as you like, eg:
>
> #wrapper {margin:5px 20px 5px 20px;}
>
> This gets top, right, bottom and left respectively.
>
> As for grace with text within the wrapper and other boxes, apply
> a modest bit of padding, best in em.


Thanks for your help, even if you do seem a little stressed by point 3.
Perhaps I could buy your a beer <g>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chaddy2222
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Chaddy2222 wrote:
>
> > For a start, you should end all file names with .html as Unix / Linux
> > servers are case sensitive.

>
> Huh? That's a non-sequitur.
>

Ahh, yes I see what you mean. I think what I was talking about was not
useing capitals in file names but that is another issue. But most
Linux servers are set-up to recognise the .html extension by default
are that not? I was always under the impression that they were and
that if that extension for the index page did not exist that they
would then look for a .htm extension. I personally now just use re-
directs through .htaccess so don't need to concern myself with this
stuff as much (although I do to an extent.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bergamot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
Dr. Compynei wrote:
>
> As part of my degree I am studying Web Development, and now I better
> understand websites I am designing up the website of a charity (local
> theatre) in CSS and XHTML 1.0 Trans.


Were you instructed to use XHTML Transitional? If so, your instructor is
incompetent.

> Moving away from tables due to accessability problems etc etc.
>
> http://www.blt.org.uk/css/index.htm
>
> 1. Image Mapping. How is best to map the image to turn graphics into
> hyperlinks.


As someone else mentioned, the most accessible method would be plain
text links styled with CSS. Using list mark up for navigation menus has
become the accepted norm.
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

You can embellish with background graphics to get pretty much the same
effect as the site has now and still be scalable with varying window and
text sizes, but that is a bit advanced for a newbie. Keep it simple and
you'll get better results.

> 2. Scrolling. This is my main problem at the moment. When the page gets
> longer the content div just keeps going down the page, what I want is for
> the site to be x% sizes of the screen (leaving some red border) no matter
> what the resolution (upto a min of 800x600).


Stop wanting this. If you're dropping layout tables for accessibility
reasons, putting in a scrolling div would be substituting one
accessibility problem with another, perhaps worse one. Scrolling divs
are a navigation nightmare for keyboard users. They are cumbersome at
best, unusable at worse.

Were you instructed to use a scrolling div, too?

--
Berg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few Questions (HW questions already answered by me) padh.ayo@gmail.com C Programming 10 12-06-2006 05:48 PM
Malloc and free questions - learner questions pkirk25 C Programming 50 10-04-2006 02:22 PM
Questions on Canon 300D and etc. questions regarding digital photography Progressiveabsolution Digital Photography 12 03-24-2005 05:18 PM
Newbie questions - Couple of VC++ questions regarding dlls and VB6 Ali Syed C Programming 3 10-13-2004 10:15 PM
Re: Questions....questions....questions Patrick Michael A+ Certification 0 06-16-2004 04:53 PM



Advertisments