Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Good refresher site

Reply
Thread Tools

Good refresher site

 
 
gjrw68@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2007
I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
daily and needs to get back into C?

Cheers,

TF

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bluejack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2007
On Mar 12, 3:50 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
> than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
> daily and needs to get back into C?


I usually just need a good reference book in order to answer questions
as they come up. K&R2 is generally thought to be good, but online I
also use:

A reasonably useful C library reference:
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

And the comp.lang.c FAQ:
http://c-faq.com/



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Flash Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
> On Mar 12, 3:50 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
>> than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
>> daily and needs to get back into C?

>
> I usually just need a good reference book in order to answer questions
> as they come up. K&R2 is generally thought to be good, but online I
> also use:


K&R2 is good.

> A reasonably useful C library reference:
> http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/


Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
of the horrible terminology we see. For example, it talks about typecasting.

In fact, having looked a bit further it seems riddled with errors at
least some of which are fairly fundamental in my opinion. For example:
| enum identifier {enumerator-list};
| Identifier is a handle for identification, and is optional.
| Enumerator-list is a list of variables to be created. They will be
| constant integers. Each variable is given the value of the previous
| variable plus 1. The first variable is given the value of 0

I cannot imagine any way that the enumerations can be considered
variables. It also uses the word "variables" in various other
questionable ways.

> And the comp.lang.c FAQ:
> http://c-faq.com/


That is a good reference.
--
Flash Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
bluejack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
On Mar 12, 5:58 pm, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
> > A reasonably useful C library reference:
> > http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

>
> Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
> of the horrible terminology we see.


Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. I use it when I need to
find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
please share!

-b

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Poelstra
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 20:12 -0700, bluejack wrote:
> On Mar 12, 5:58 pm, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
> > > A reasonably useful C library reference:
> > > http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/

> >
> > Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
> > of the horrible terminology we see.

>
> Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. I use it when I need to
> find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
> memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
> please share!
>
> -b
>


I use manpages. Mine even tell me whether they are ANSI C functions or
POSIX ones, and the version of the applicable standard.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Flash Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
Andrew Poelstra wrote, On 13/03/07 04:37:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 20:12 -0700, bluejack wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 5:58 pm, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> bluejack wrote, On 12/03/07 23:27:
>>>> A reasonably useful C library reference:
>>>> http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/webmonkeys/book/c_guide/
>>> Based on a quick look I'm not convinced, however it might explain some
>>> of the horrible terminology we see.

>> Ok... maybe a reasonably *bad* reference. I use it when I need to
>> find "the call that does X". (I don't store all that stuff in local
>> memory.) If you know of a better reference for that sort of thing,
>> please share!

>
> I use manpages. Mine even tell me whether they are ANSI C functions or
> POSIX ones, and the version of the applicable standard.


Several of the regulars have web sites with a lot of useful C material,
and you can find a possibly incomplete list here
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:Home_pages

In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
C and C++ libraries here
http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#S...%20C%20Library

Note that being included on the home pages page is not specifically an
endorsement (nor is not being listed a "black mark", it just means no
one has added the link), it is up to you to judge peoples worth from
their posts here and the responses received.
--
Flash Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
santosh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I used to code in C about 10 years ago but haven't done anything since
> than. What's the best refresher site out there for someone who codes
> daily and needs to get back into C?


I find a hardcopy book better than online viewing. Two of the very
best are _The C Programming Language Second Edition_ by Kernighan and
Ritchie, and _C: A Reference Manual_ by Harbison and Steele. A more
advanced book is _C Unleashed_ by Heathfield, Kirby et al.

As far as online tutorials are concerned I'll recommend Steve Summit's
one:

<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/>

Also he maintains the very useful C FAQ:

<http://www.c-faq.com/>

There's also a clc "wiki":

<http://clc-wiki.net/>

Other resources include:

<http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/>
<http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/>
<http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/>
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/>
<http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html>
<http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/index.php>

 
Reply With Quote
 
bluejack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
On Mar 12, 11:34 pm, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
> C and C++ libraries herehttp://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#Standard%20C%20Library


Man, this Dinkumware site is awesome! I realize they are primarily
documenting their own implementation of the libraries, but given that
it is a complete implementation, the data seems pretty universally
useful. And there's a ton of other great resources on there.

It's funny how 98% of the time, Google is the best way to find stuff,
but there are exceptions. In all my reference hunting, Google has
never led me to a dinkumware page. And I recently scoured the net for
good C++ STL references, going as deep as 10 pages into Google search
results for many queries. Weird.

 
Reply With Quote
 
santosh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
bluejack wrote:
> On Mar 12, 11:34 pm, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In particular, Dinkumware, P.J.Plaugers company, has a reference to the
> > C and C++ libraries herehttp://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/#Standard%20C%20Library


<snip>

> It's funny how 98% of the time, Google is the best way to find stuff,
> but there are exceptions. In all my reference hunting, Google has
> never led me to a dinkumware page. And I recently scoured the net for
> good C++ STL references, going as deep as 10 pages into Google search
> results for many queries. Weird.


<OT>
If you use the search term "C99 Standard library reference",
dinkumware is the first hit.
</OT>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Zhou Yan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2007
How about Steele's C: A reference manual? Someone told me that it is a
very famous book. I myself only know Steele's creation of Scheme. Just
a suggestion.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need refresher course to figure out what I'm doing wrong richard HTML 6 09-18-2006 04:56 PM
Tab refresher plug-in? cmerch19602003 Firefox 1 08-12-2006 12:59 AM
IPSec tutorial/refresher Imhotep Computer Security 2 09-10-2005 02:39 AM
C++ refresher projects after a 3 yr gap capes C++ 0 09-09-2005 07:22 PM
regsvr32 refresher needed Richard Computer Support 1 01-03-2005 10:14 AM



Advertisments