Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice - Best Small Digital Camera with 6x Optical Zoom

Advice - Best Small Digital Camera with 6x Optical Zoom

Carl

Hello all

I am looking to buy a new digital camera for an upcoming trip to New York.
Last time I went I took my Minolta D'image Z3 which is a great camera (in
myu opinion), but it's far too bulky to fit in an inside pocket.

I want a smaller camera with a good optical zoom (ideally 6x) - budget wise
I am thinking 250 / $500 max.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

Many thanks in advance.

Charles Schuler

Maybe less than you want to spend:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B000E18BTM

David J Taylor

Carl wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am looking to buy a new digital camera for an upcoming trip to New
> York. Last time I went I took my Minolta D'image Z3 which is a great
> camera (in myu opinion), but it's far too bulky to fit in an inside
> pocket.
> I want a smaller camera with a good optical zoom (ideally 6x) -
> budget wise I am thinking 250 / $500 max.
>
> Any ideas on what I should be looking at?
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Jessops had these on special offer recently - pocket-sized, 7MP, 28 -
200mm zoom, CCD-shift image stabilisation:

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else being equal I
would choose that brand.

Cheers,
David

MG

> Maybe less than you want to spend:
> http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B000E18BTM

Or the LZ5 if sound for your movie clips is important to you.

MG

ASAAR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:43:03 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

> Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else
> being equal I would choose that brand.

But as we well know, everything else isn't equal.

David J Taylor

ASAAR wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:43:03 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else
>> being equal I would choose that brand.

> But as we well know, everything else isn't equal.

Indeed yes. Handling alone is one thing that differs when evaluating
cameras. Something I might find comfortable will be too small for others!

Cheers,
David