Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > nonlinear interpolation

nonlinear interpolation

Michele Simionato

I want to interpolate a data distribution with a function depending on
various parameters; the function
can be a Gaussian, a Breit-Wigner, a custom function. Where should I
look? I am getting lost
between matplotlib, numeric, numpy, scientific python, scipy, etc.
etc.
Any pointer would be well received

Michele Simionato

Paul Rubin

"Michele Simionato" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Any pointer would be well received

Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

Michele Simionato

On Mar 12, 5:28 pm, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Michele Simionato" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Any pointer would be well received

> Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
> options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
> cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
> gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

No, I know about Numerical Recipes, I want an already-made solution.
For instance I found one here
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/Scienti...es-module.html
but I wonder if I should use numpy or something else, since
I am not following the progresses in numerical Python these days.

P.S. sorry for the multiple post, google tricked me.

Robert Kern

Michele Simionato wrote:
> On Mar 12, 5:28 pm, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Michele Simionato" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> Any pointer would be well received

>> Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
>> options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
>> cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
>> gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

> No, I know about Numerical Recipes, I want an already-made solution.
> For instance I found one here
> http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/Scienti...es-module.html
> but I wonder if I should use numpy or something else, since
> I am not following the progresses in numerical Python these days.

It sounds like you want nonlinear curve fitting rather than interpolation. I do
recommend using numpy as the underlying array package, but it does not provide
any curve fitting itself. The 2.7 branch of ScientificPython can work with numpy
instead of Numeric, if you like. See the README.

http://sourcesup.cru.fr/projects/scientific-py/

scipy also has a variety of curve fitting routines at the expense of a more
involved install. scipy.optimize.leastsq() might be sufficient for you, but the
scipy.odr package is much more flexible (but get scipy from SVN for that; the
latest release has some unfortunate bugs in that package).

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco