Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Unit testing framework: CxxTest question

Unit testing framework: CxxTest question

Anja

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the Cxxtest framework which I am considering
using for all my C++ unit testing needs.

I am wondering if it is possible to configure the framework so that
the output of all the tests go into a file rather than the standard
output. I did not see any flag that lets you do something like that
and searching the net did not yield any clues either.

So, I am wondering if anyone who has used the framework before can
help me with this.

Cheers,
Anja

=?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 12 Mar, 13:12, "Anja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question about the Cxxtest framework which I am considering
> using for all my C++ unit testing needs.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to configure the framework so that
> the output of all the tests go into a file rather than the standard
> output. I did not see any flag that lets you do something like that
> and searching the net did not yield any clues either.
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone who has used the framework before can
> help me with this.

You should really ask these kinds of questions in a forum concerned
with the Cxxtest framework, it's quite off topic in here. I don't know
how it all works but if it's a separate program you run then you can
always redirect the output. So if you normally run the test like so:

> cxxtest

Then you can redirect the output to a file like so:

--
Erik Wikström

Phlip

Anja wrote:

> I have a question about the Cxxtest framework which I am considering
> using for all my C++ unit testing needs.

Please use UnitTest++; it's much better.

> I am wondering if it is possible to configure the framework so that
> the output of all the tests go into a file rather than the standard
> output. I did not see any flag that lets you do something like that
> and searching the net did not yield any clues either.

The best way to use such a framework is with zero-tolerance for faults. When
you edit you should configure your editor to run all the tests from one
(unshifted) button, and you should run all the tests in your current module
after every few edits.

When you commit code to a repository, you should only commit if all tests
pass. If tests fail unexpectedly, you should revert your code until they
pass, and start your current effort again. This is much MUCH more productive
than traditional hack-n-slash debugging.

This is why few test runners have excessive (JUnit-style) support for
coddling errors, or listing them, or reporting them. At the very least your
editor should treat failures as syntax errors, and offer the option to
navigate to the failure easily.

> So, I am wondering if anyone who has used the framework before can
> help me with this.

Try its mailing list. I know UnitTest++ has the option.

--
Phlip

wufeng

On Mar 12, 8:12 pm, "Anja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question about the Cxxtest framework which I am considering
> using for all my C++ unit testing needs.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to configure the framework so that
> the output of all the tests go into a file rather than the standard
> output. I did not see any flag that lets you do something like that
> and searching the net did not yield any clues either.
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone who has used the framework before can
> help me with this.
>
> Cheers,
> Anja

that's great