Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > VPN Over Wireless

VPN Over Wireless

TheScullster

Hi all

Let me start by saying I have no knowledge of wireless and associated
speed/issues.
The spectre of VPN access into our network is looming.
So the question is...do the generally available hotel and cafe wireless
access points provide adequate speed and stability for a decent VPN
experience?
Are there any other issues/influences (other than laptop spec of course)
that will influence this?
I have a number of users who travel extensively, our growing market place is
Russia and former soviet countries, so any information specifically
pertaining to these would be useful.

TIA

Phil

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"TheScullster" wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Let me start by saying I have no knowledge of wireless and associated
> speed/issues.
> The spectre of VPN access into our network is looming.
> So the question is...do the generally available hotel and cafe wireless
> access points provide adequate speed and stability for a decent VPN
> experience?

The short answer is no. Not all hotspots are suitable for VPN yet -
but as you wrote, the spectre is looming and the trend is
that more of them become compatible.
Fortunately, there are services like www.ipass.com that take
these chores and give your users simple standard access to
your company VPN server.

> Are there any other issues/influences (other than laptop spec of course)
> that will influence this?

The hotspot provider may or may not open the ports nesessary for VPN working.

> I have a number of users who travel extensively, our growing market place is
> Russia and former soviet countries, so any information specifically
> pertaining to these would be useful.

Depends very much on where exactly they travel. On most of that territory,
expect only dialup connectivity. Wi-fi is available only in biggest cities
(again, integrators like ipass.com provide the dialup option as well)

Regards,
--PA