Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can i edit my posts?

Can i edit my posts?

MarcusVonSinope

Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^ There is a clickable link
above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
doesn't seem to work.

Whiskers

On 2007-03-12, MarcusVonSinope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^ There is a clickable link
> above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
> doesn't seem to work.

Making a wild guess here: are you talking about the Google Groups web
interface?

Anyway, to answer the question in the Subject header: no you can't edit
your articles after you've posted them.

I think that some of the features of the Google Groups web interface only
work if you have 'javascript' enabled in your web browser.

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

Google Groups is not usenet. Google Groups is a combination of

1) A searchable archive of most of the articles posted into most
usenet newsgroups in the last 20 years or so, purchased by Google
from 'DejaNews' who started it.

2) A badly designed web forum interface to allow reading and posting
in those newsgroups.

3) Google's own proprietary web forums, which are not part of usenet.
For reasons of their own, Google do not make the distinction
between their own web forums and the real newsgroups very clear.

1) is a useful service. 2) and 3) are means of getting people to look at
and occasionally click on the advertisements that Google display, and
which earn them their money.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mike Easter

MarcusVonSinope wrote:
Subject: Can i edit my posts?

> Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^

Picture where you are and what you are doing and who you are talking to
and what you are asking them and how you expect them to answer you.

Presumably you are sitting at your chair in some country connected to
the internet in some fashion using some kind of computer with some kind
of operating system and some kind of software running on it and you are
typing your words onto your keyboard and they are appearing to your eyes
on your computer screen and they are going to be 'broadcast' to others.

The others to whom they are broadcast are not sitting in your chair in
your country looking at your screen on your computer using your
operating system or your interface with what you are seeing or
describing.

While some parts of that equation don't matter very much, such as what
kind of chair or screen or computer or which country, sometimes it
matters what operating system and what software or what user interface
you are experiencing.

> There is a clickable link
> above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
> doesn't seem to work.

So, now you give us a little bit of information about your personal
'experience' while you are typing to us, and ask a question in the
/subject/ of your message about that experience you are having.

That means that anyone who wants to answer your question has to
'recreate' your experience in hir mind. It doesn't really matter that
your country is Germany or that your connectivity is Deutsch Telecom or
that your operating system is Windows or that your browser's basis is
Mozilla/Gecko.

All that really matters is that your interface in your browser is
googlegroups GG -- but you must realize that the majority of people who
are reading your question are not reading it in GG, so they are not
seeing what you are seeing or thinking what you are thinking or
wondering what you are wondering. So, if you are going to ask
'everyone' here a question, you should try to see the question from
their perspective, and of course you should mention something about
using GG, so that the reader doesn't have to do minor 'sleuthing' to
figure out where you are coming from.

"What in the hell is he talking about?"

When you are typing in a reply to a news message as you were doing when
you asked the question in the subject, GG does not provide you with the
'More Options' function. More options is a function which is used when
reading messages in GG.

When you read messages in GG, one configuration is to see the messages
collapsed. Another config is to see the messages expanded. When
expanded, the 'header' shows only the author/From and the date/time and
'more options' function. When more options is activated, more elements
of the header appear. newsgroups, From address GG munged, Date expressed
in two different lines, with UTC offset and in local, and Subject. In
addition, more options shows you access to 8 more GG functions,
including show original.

If you search GG help on the term 'more options' it will explain to you
its functions in 16 different help answers.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

MarcusVonSinope wrote: