Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Windows Defender whitelisting certain spyware ?

Windows Defender whitelisting certain spyware ?

Moe Trin

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<C7cKh.12979$(E-Mail Removed). net>, Ron Lopshire wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> Hey - they put the information in the privacy statements. Is it _their_
>> fault that no one reads the statements? I _was_ going to clean the
>> heads on my VCR by sticking into the washing machine until I found the
>> warning in the user guide not to get it wet. I guess that means I've got
>> to send it out to the dry cleaners. Sure glad I read that user guide
>> from cover to cover.

>LOL. Thanks for your thoughts, Moe.

Gotta put things into perspective

>These guys evidently read the EULA and decided to pass, at least until
>they understand it. [bg]
>
>U.S. Government Agencies Banning Microsoft Vista

You'd think that the government would have learned by now. But every PHB
knows that you should be using windoze for two reasons - first "it's what
I use" (that must be important), and second, it gives you someone to sue
when the excrement hits the air handlers.

>One of my favorite disclaimers is for Mold & Mildew Cleaners:
>
> "Use only in well-ventilated areas ..."
>
>If it were well-ventilated, there would not be any mold and mildew in
>the first frickin' place.

I can sorta understand that one - the cleaner is usually toxic in some
concentrations (from parts per gazillion up to "neat") over some amount
of time (seconds to centuries). But most of the warnings are totally a
"cover your ass" type of thing, so that when some idiot kills/injures
themselves doing something totally stupid, the defense lawyers can point
to the written warning and say "we told you not to do that".

A problem is that the current situation is like crying "Wolf". A lot of
the warnings seem to be boiler plate. Thus, I'm warned not to use a
battery operated remote control if the electrical cord set is frayed.
Huh? This usually causes people to not bother reading the "Important
Facts" - though they really should do so, for entertainment reasons. Just
think why they had to include each warning - what some Darwin candidate
must have done to get the warning not to put this appliance in the bath
tub. The mind boggles.

Old guy