Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > avi files and common video/audio files - AGAIN

avi files and common video/audio files - AGAIN

aniramca@yahoo.com

This is again a question about avi files. I never thought that it is
another one of such messy thing that we created. I tried to open an
avi file in my PC using different versions of Windows Media Players,
and they did not recognized it. When I checked the internet, I found
out that there are different versions of avi which are exceptable to
different version of computers. What a mess. It is similar to saving
a spreadsheet file (xls), in which there are so many choices and
confusing. They are all with extension .xls, but cater to different
version of the software (in which changing perhaps every other day!).
My questions are:
- How to convert this avi file to a file which can be excepted to 95%
of computers? If you have an mp3 file, you likely be able to play it
on most computer, dont' you?
- What file is generally accepted by many computer? I just want a
basic format that can be opened by most computers (old and new).
I recall a long time ago, an avi file (whatever it was called or
version) can be open easily and compatible for most OS. Is this true?
Is avi file equivalent to MPEG4 file?
Thanks for the info.