Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Name That Tune - March in "Black Orpheus"

Name That Tune - March in "Black Orpheus"

John R. Baker

I am trying to identify the name and composer of a particular march that is
very popular throughout Latin America.

The march was featured in a scene in Marcel Chamus' 1959 movie "Black
Orpheus." (This Portuguese-language film also goes by the name "Orfeu
Negro.")

I believe the march was not written for the movie, but pre-dates the movie
by many years.

Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is about 1
minute, 25 seconds long.

http://www.jrb-online.com/name_that_tune.htm

Could someone please help me identify the name of the march and of the
composer?

For more information on the movie "Black Orpheus," see the Internet Movie
Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/ .

Thanks!

- John R. Baker

Gary G. Taylor

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:18:33 -0600, John R. Baker wrote:

> Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is about 1
> minute, 25 seconds long.
>
> http://

Sorry, I don't do Windows Media Player.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

Mike Easter

John R. Baker wrote:
> I am trying to identify the name and composer of a particular march
> that is very popular throughout Latin America.
>
> The march was featured in a scene in Marcel Chamus' 1959 movie "Black
> Orpheus." (This Portuguese-language film also goes by the name "Orfeu
> Negro.")

I know a little bit about the soundtrack for that movie

> I believe the march was not written for the movie, but pre-dates the
> movie by many years.
>
> Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is
> about 1 minute, 25 seconds long.
>
> http://www.jrb-online.com/name_that_tune.htm

Leaving out the html/asx javascript, the .wmv file is at
http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv

> Could someone please help me identify the name of the march and of the
> composer?

I can't really hear the music that the parade band is playing in the
..wmv movie clip, I can only tell that there is a crowd, a parade, and a
band. I can hear the clip's scant dialogue OK.

> For more information on the movie "Black Orpheus," see the Internet
> Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/ .

The movie is renowned for its soundtrack by bossa nova dude Antonio
Carlos Jobim and songs by Luiz Bonfá -- "Manhã de Carnaval" ["A Day in
the Life of a Fool"] - "A felicidade"

If you buy a CD of its soundtrack, the CD has

1. Generique
2. A Felicidade
3. Frevo
4. O Nosso Amor
5. O Nosso Amor
6. Manha De Carnaval
7. Scene Du Lever Du Soleil
8. Manha De Carnaval
9. Scenes De La Macunba
10. O Nosso Amor
11. Manha De Carnaval
12. Samba De Orfeo
13. Batterie De Cappela
14. Bola Sete Medley: Manha De Carnaval / A Felicidade / Samba De
Orfeo - Bola Sete

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

> If you buy a CD of its soundtrack, the CD has

Here's a place you can hear samples from the CD, which tracks are taken
directly from the movie audio, according to customer reviewers, some of
whom didn't like it done like that:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Orpheus-.../dp/B000004726

--
Mike Easter

Maximum Dog3

Mrs. K-Lucifer Hell's hag wrote:

> But little boys in Hell do me, because I'll do anything Master Lucifer tells me to do.

Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> a varlet vile, wrote:

> If you are what you eat, how come I'm not a penis?

Maximum Dog3

Lucifer's wife and loopy seconds hag Mrs. K-Lucifer wrote:

>I am what what I am, how come I have no package and I do the bidding for my Master Lucifer?
>I been told I am just a lonely house hag with my legs in the air
>for anything that has a dick/package that crosses my path in Hell.

Maximum Dog3

The sloppy seconds Hag in Hell Mrs. K-Lucifer wrote:

<snipped>

<g>

John R. Baker

For those that don't do Windows Media Player, here is a link directly to the
source file:

http://www.jrb-online.com/media/Marc...%20Orpheus.wmv

Hope this helps!

- John R. Baker

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) g...
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:18:33 -0600, John R. Baker wrote:
>
>> Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is about
>> 1
>> minute, 25 seconds long.
>>
>> http://

> Sorry, I don't do Windows Media Player.
>
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
> knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
> "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen
> and stupidity." --Frank Zappa, R.A. Heinlein and many others

John R. Baker

Here is a link directly to the source file:

http://www.jrb-online.com/media/Marc...%20Orpheus.wmv

Unfortunately, this particular piece is NOT one of the slections on the
soundtrack.

- John R. Baker

news:45f3c7f4$0$97261$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

Camera Owners of the Bay Area (COBA) March meeting this Wednesday,March 12, 2008 jcdill@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-10-2008 03:19 PM
name that tune Dave_G Computer Support 1 05-02-2005 02:26 PM
Name that tune? Kenny Computer Support 10 08-21-2004 11:54 PM
Name that tune! (just for fun) anthonyberet Computer Support 16 05-17-2004 03:49 PM

Advertisments