Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > smallest dslr available in US

smallest dslr available in US

John Smith

Looking for a new 'street" edc camera...since the "compact" trend doesn't
seem to be cutting it these days (raw becoming hard to find, for example),
I'm thinking a mini-dslr might be the way to go...

Any thoughts on the he smallest unit I can actually buy in the USA today?

Thanks, DP

tomm42

On Mar 10, 10:43 am, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking for a new 'street" edc camera...since the "compact" trend doesn't
> seem to be cutting it these days (raw becoming hard to find, for example),
> I'm thinking a mini-dslr might be the way to go...
>
> Any thoughts on the he smallest unit I can actually buy in the USA today?
>
> Thanks, DP

The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom lenses
as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro VR does
but not exactly a street lens). The Pentax K100 may be the best
choice, they have compact lenses like a pancake 21mm.
There are also the rangefinders, though we are talking another level
of $. The Epson RD-1 or the Leica M8. Cosina makes an affordable
series of lenses under the Voigtlander name. Then of course there is
the the Leica and Zeiss lenses.

Tom

John Smith

> The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom lenses
> as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro VR does
> but not exactly a street lens). The Pentax K100 may be the best
> choice, they have compact lenses like a pancake 21mm.
> There are also the rangefinders, though we are talking another level
> of $. The Epson RD-1 or the Leica M8. Cosina makes an affordable
> series of lenses under the Voigtlander name. Then of course there is
> the the Leica and Zeiss lenses.
>
> Tom

Mini Nikon would be good for me as I have a D70 that I hardly carry due to
size...I only use prime lenses on that, would they work on the D40?

DP

mista.gr@gmail.com

On Mar 10, 6:43 pm, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking for a new 'street" edc camera...since the "compact" trend doesn't
> seem to be cutting it these days (raw becoming hard to find, for example),
> I'm thinking a mini-dslr might be the way to go...
>
> Any thoughts on the he smallest unit I can actually buy in the USA today?
>
> Thanks, DP

EOS 400D, man.

ASAAR

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:43:56 -0500, John Smith wrote:

> Looking for a new 'street" edc camera...since the "compact" trend doesn't
> seem to be cutting it these days (raw becoming hard to find, for example),
> I'm thinking a mini-dslr might be the way to go...
>
> Any thoughts on the he smallest unit I can actually buy in the USA today?

The D40 is Nikon's smallest DSLR, and it's slightly smaller than
Canon's 400D. Dpreview has a table including their peers. With
your newsreader set to the right fixed pitch font the copy below
should line up. If not, the table is located at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page3.asp

> Olympus E-500 130 x 95 x 66 mm (5.1 x 3.7 x 2.6 in) 479 g (1.1 lb)
> Nikon D40 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in) 524 g (1.2 lb)
> Canon EOS 350D 127 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in) 540 g (1.2 lb)
> Canon EOS 400D 127 x 94 x 65 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in) 556 g (1.2 lb)
> Sony DSLR-A100 133 x 95 x 71 mm (5.2 x 3.7 x 2.8 in) 638 g (1.4 lb)
> Pentax K100D 129 x 93 x 70 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.8 in) 660 g (1.5 lb)
> Nikon D80 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in) 668 g (1.5 lb)
> Nikon D70 / D70s 140 x 111 x 78 mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in) 679 g (1.5 lb)
> Nikon D50 133 x 102 x 76 mm (5.2 x 4.0 x 3.0 in) 620 g (1.4 lb)

The Olympus E-400 is quite a bit smaller than any of these, but it
isn't available in the USA. If you can afford to wait (at a guess,
a couple of months) the recently announced E-410 will be available
in the USA. Here's a link to dpreview's announcement, including a
press release and a hands-on preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07...lympuse410.asp

[from another message]
>> The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom
>> lenses as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro
>> VR does but not exactly a street lens).

> Mini Nikon would be good for me as I have a D70 that I hardly carry due
> to size...I only use prime lenses on that, would they work on the D40?

From what Tom said, no. The D50 would work with your lenses, but
it's about midway in size and weight between the D40 and the D70. I
added the D50's spec's to the above table, it wasn't included by
dpreview in theirs. All weights are based on an included battery.

David Dyer-Bennet

tomm42 wrote:

> The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom lenses
> as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro VR does
> but not exactly a street lens).

Works fine with Nikon primes -- even manual focus. But doesn't
auto-focus with non-AF-S lenses, and doesn't meter with non-chipped
(basically, non-AF) lenses. Since the "classic" street cameras had
neither autofocus nor meters, this doesn't seem like a big problem. (I
made lots of use of old manual-focus lenses on a Fuji S2, where they
didn't meter.)

While I understand some people may feel differently from me about the
importance of these features, and may therefore make different choices
from me, I do think it's important to distinguish between "can't be
used" and "works, but lacking some features". People need to be able to
make their own decisions about which features are worth how much to
them, we shouldn't be imposing our own views (it would be wrong for me
to say "they work just fine" and not mention the limitations).

Paul Rubin

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Works fine with Nikon primes -- even manual focus. But doesn't
> auto-focus with non-AF-S lenses, and doesn't meter with non-chipped
> (basically, non-AF) lenses. Since the "classic" street cameras had
> neither autofocus nor meters, this doesn't seem like a big problem.

But they had much better viewfinders, with manual focus assistance
devices.

> (I made lots of use of old manual-focus lenses on a Fuji S2, where
> they didn't meter.)

I dunno how you did that, for anything like street shooting. I
thought the S2's viewfinder was similar to a D70's. There's a
tremendous difference between that and something like an F3.

THO

In article <afc53$45f2dedb$4018507b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom lenses
> > as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro VR does
> > but not exactly a street lens). The Pentax K100 may be the best
> > choice, they have compact lenses like a pancake 21mm.
> > There are also the rangefinders, though we are talking another level
> > of $. The Epson RD-1 or the Leica M8. Cosina makes an affordable
> > series of lenses under the Voigtlander name. Then of course there is
> > the the Leica and Zeiss lenses.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Mini Nikon would be good for me as I have a D70 that I hardly carry due to
> size...I only use prime lenses on that, would they work on the D40?
>
> DP

They won't autofocus on the D40/D40x.

tomm42

On Mar 10, 11:37 am, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The Nikon D40 may be the smallest, but you are locked into zoom lenses
> > as no Nikon primes have internal motors (well the 105 micro VR does
> > but not exactly a street lens). The Pentax K100 may be the best
> > choice, they have compact lenses like a pancake 21mm.
> > There are also the rangefinders, though we are talking another level
> > of $. The Epson RD-1 or the Leica M8. Cosina makes an affordable
> > series of lenses under the Voigtlander name. Then of course there is
> > the the Leica and Zeiss lenses.

> > Tom

> Mini Nikon would be good for me as I have a D70 that I hardly carry due to
> size...I only use prime lenses on that, would they work on the D40?
>
> DP

If they are NIKON screw drive AF lenses they will meter but not AF on
the D40. The Sigma 30 f1.4 has an HSM motor and will AF with the D40.
The problem with the D40 is it has a mirror viewfinder, more mag than
the D70 but still dim, which would make precise focusing difficult.
But on the street there is zone focusing.

Tom