Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dell n series, good ?

Dell n series, good ?

name is

Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only edit
VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
Accessories
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
Software
SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for
Dell OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
Service
WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK
or MON, etc.) edit
PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Labels n-Series Sticker
Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard
--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Pen

name is wrote:
> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
> comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?
>
> PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
> OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
> MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
> HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
> OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only edit
> VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
> MONITOR No Monitor edit
> Accessories
> FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
> SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
> KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
> MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
> POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
> Software
> SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for
> Dell OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
> Service
> WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
> ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
> RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK
> or MON, etc.) edit
> PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
> ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
> Labels n-Series Sticker
> Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
> Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard

That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
to Dell's docs site and see.
http://support.dell.com/support/syst...&s=dhs&~cat=12

Seniors Guide to Computers

"name is" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jroIh.8730$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
> comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?
>
> PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
> OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
> MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
> HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
> OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only
> edit
> VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
> MONITOR No Monitor edit
> Accessories
> FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
> SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
> KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
> MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
> POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
> Software
> SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for Dell
> OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
> Service
> WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
> ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
> RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK or
> MON, etc.) edit
> PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
> ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
> Labels n-Series Sticker
> Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
> Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard
> --
> Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
> http://www.rfruth.net
>

> 1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
> 1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
> 2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Why you should not buy a Dell:
http://celestial-reasoning.blogspot....troops-or.html

Senior's Guide to Computers
http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

name is

Pen wrote:
> name is wrote:
>> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N
>> series comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
> to Dell's docs site and see.
> http://support.dell.com/support/syst...&s=dhs&~cat=12

- snip -

OptiPlex docs say it has a 80 watt power supply is that a typo or ...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...pecs.htm#Power

Pen

name is wrote:
> Pen wrote:
>> name is wrote:
>>> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N
>>> series comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

> That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
>> to Dell's docs site and see.
>> http://support.dell.com/support/syst...&s=dhs&~cat=12

> - snip -
>
> OptiPlex docs say it has a 80 watt power supply is that a typo or ...
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...pecs.htm#Power

You have the WRONG machine. What you're looking for is the Optiplex 740
as I pointed out to you before. The machine you are quoting is a socket
7 one which is probably at least 8 years old. The 740 jhas a 305 watt
supply.