Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > about application deployment

about application deployment

Alessandro de Manzano

Hello,

I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.

Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
for my customers (and for me too...)

What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
with many modules.

I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
(*nix, Mac maybe, ...)

My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
about on field deployment...

What am I missing ?
What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?

Many thanks in advance!

bye!

Ale

Diez B. Roggisch

Alessandro de Manzano wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.
>
> Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
> for my customers (and for me too...)
>
> What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
> file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
> with many modules.
>
> I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
> something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
> (*nix, Mac maybe, ...)
>
> My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
> about on field deployment...
>
> What am I missing ?
> What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?

There are the greate setuptools available, that make creating and installing
a single .egg-file (which is very close to a jar) easy as cake - provided
you've got them working.

I'm not sure if there is some equivalent as

java -jar <jar>

though. Could be worth thinking about.

Diez

Larry Bates

Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.
>
> Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
> for my customers (and for me too...)
>
> What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
> file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
> with many modules.
>
> I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
> something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
> (*nix, Mac maybe, ...)
>
> My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
> about on field deployment...
>
> What am I missing ?
> What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>

> bye!
>
> Ale

I think you are going to find that you need different deployment
methods for different operating systems. When you deploy you will
no doubt have different things to do (shortcuts, registry entries,
..INI file entries, etc.) that you want to do.

On Windows my choice is py2exe to bundle and then Inno Installer
to make a setup.exe distrubution program that handles the install
and uninstall. Others can chime in on linux, mac, etc.

-Larry