Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reply -> top-post or bottom-post.

Reply -> top-post or bottom-post.

elaich

Bucky Breeder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Ain't that the *truth*! And you don't have
> to do the scrolly thing all the way down to
> the nethers to find out what's going on...
> Near wore slap out a scroll wheel doing that.
> And that's the way they do it in the M$ Public
> groups, so must be something to it.

Assigning logic to Microsoft? LMFAO. I'd do it the other way just because
of that. BTW, PLONK, top poster.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Cam-man

Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:

>the rule is NO snipping

Well in this case my snip is bad.

--
"Meanwhile, my company is at China, so We can provide you a relative
lost price."

From: "pgtekin" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Cam-man

Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:

>>>Actually, it's provided one clear cut winner for the terminally lazy and
>>>a better clear cut winner for those of us who still have a pulse.

>> And I like to highlight the text in question, hit reply, and eliminate
>> extraneous text.

>Of course, snipping is a separate issue. Top posters always confuse
>that issue with the top/bottom posting question.
>
>Surprisingly, over on the mozilla.org server, the rule is NO snipping.

But if I include enough text, snipping aint so bad.

From: "pgtekin" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Cam-man

Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:

If I want to engage you in the mozilla.org server here, you have to
scroll down to see what I'm talking about. That's why top-posting is
bad.

From: "pgtekin" <(E-Mail Removed)>

SgtMinor

elaich wrote:
> "Stickems." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QGiIh.50177$3a3.33970
> @newsfe6-win.ntli.net:
>

>>Top post is the easiest and quickest way to both reply and to follow a
>>discussion.

> Until somebody top posts and trims everything else away, at which point you
> don't have a clue what they are talking about.
>
> Top posters always assume that everybody has been voraciously reading every
> single post in the thread. This might be true in internal forums, or in an
> email hierarchy, but is very untrue in Usenet.
>
> Bottom posting (with appropriate clipping) has ALWAYS been the standard in
> Usenet. Most of us just automatically killfile top posters.
>
> A top poster disturbs the logical discussion, which starts at the top and
> reads to the bottom.

Hardly. Almost everything we as humans do consists of building on top
of the past. Check out Digg and you see how "logically" new posts push
the older ones to the bottom. Look in any manila file folder and you'll
find the most recent document on top. Comedians talk about "topping"
each other's jokes, and drunken guys in bars try to top each others' lies.

The book analogy only works in terms of a single story being told. It
would not make sense to begin to tell a story, through print, music,
film, or any other medium, from back to front. But Usenet is like a
conversation where, if you want to know why A replied to B in a
particular way, you "had to be there." Something happened before, and
if you weren't listening from the beginning, you may have to dig deeper
into the post to find out what that was. Of course, the people who were
there from the start will not need to dig, they know what the
conversation is all about.

Strongly held preferences for either top or bottom posting strike me as
mere affectations - the "logic" one could muster to favor one approach
can be checked by similar "logic" supporting the other.

And the idea that you would "plonk" an intelligent poster merely because
he/she violated your bottom-posting-only obsession further suggests a
non-rational fanaticism about the issue.

--
Your sig is lame.

Blinky the Shark

Cam-man wrote:
> Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:
>
>>the rule is NO snipping

> Well in this case my snip is bad.

This isn't the non-Usenet server I said that that was the rule for.

So yes, your snip was bad because it is totally misleading -- not
because there is such a rule here.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Cam-man wrote:
> Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:

>>> And I like to highlight the text in question, hit reply, and eliminate
>>> extraneous text.

>>Of course, snipping is a separate issue. Top posters always confuse
>>that issue with the top/bottom posting question.
>>
>>Surprisingly, over on the mozilla.org server, the rule is NO snipping.

> But if I include enough text, snipping aint so bad.

THIS IS NOT MOZILLA.ORG. Try reading for comprehension, not speed.

--

Cam-man wrote:
> Blinky the Shark inspired greatness with:
>
> If I want to engage you in the mozilla.org server here, you have to

You can't "engage me in the mozilla.org server" here.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Stickems.

Excellent reply, go to the TOP of the class.

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
| elaich wrote:
| > "Stickems." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QGiIh.50177$3a3.33970
| > @newsfe6-win.ntli.net:
| >

| >>Top post is the easiest and quickest way to both reply and to follow a
| >>discussion.
| >

| > Until somebody top posts and trims everything else away, at which point
you
| > don't have a clue what they are talking about.
| >
| > Top posters always assume that everybody has been voraciously reading
every
| > single post in the thread. This might be true in internal forums, or in
an
| > email hierarchy, but is very untrue in Usenet.
| >
| > Bottom posting (with appropriate clipping) has ALWAYS been the standard
in
| > Usenet. Most of us just automatically killfile top posters.
| >
| > A top poster disturbs the logical discussion, which starts at the top
and
| > reads to the bottom.
|
| Hardly. Almost everything we as humans do consists of building on top
| of the past. Check out Digg and you see how "logically" new posts push
| the older ones to the bottom. Look in any manila file folder and you'll
| find the most recent document on top. Comedians talk about "topping"
| each other's jokes, and drunken guys in bars try to top each others' lies.
|
| The book analogy only works in terms of a single story being told. It
| would not make sense to begin to tell a story, through print, music,
| film, or any other medium, from back to front. But Usenet is like a
| conversation where, if you want to know why A replied to B in a
| particular way, you "had to be there." Something happened before, and
| if you weren't listening from the beginning, you may have to dig deeper
| into the post to find out what that was. Of course, the people who were
| there from the start will not need to dig, they know what the
| conversation is all about.
|
| Strongly held preferences for either top or bottom posting strike me as
| mere affectations - the "logic" one could muster to favor one approach
| can be checked by similar "logic" supporting the other.
|
| And the idea that you would "plonk" an intelligent poster merely because
| he/she violated your bottom-posting-only obsession further suggests a
| non-rational fanaticism about the issue.
|

| > Would you pick up a book, and read it back to front? READ MY SIG.
| >

| --
| Your sig is lame.

Bucky Breeder

O G! )o,:

(Have I been polnkeded bye a returd?
It's just so hard to tell sometimes...)

ROTF-LMFAO!

elaich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Assigning logic to Microsoft? LMFAO.
> I'd do it the other way just because
> of that. BTW, PLONK, top poster.

starts off sort of "karaoke" at first;
rather "pitchey" in the middle; and the end:
ya doesn't has to scream - jus do it dawg

> "Bucky Breeder" writes in in a somewhat protracted
> thread where the OP is inquiring about his *e-Mail*
>
>> Ain't that the *truth*! And you don't have
>> to do the scrolly thing all the way down to
>> the nethers to find out what's going on...
>> Near wore slap out a scroll wheel doing that.
>> And that's the way they do it in the M$ Public
>> groups, so must be something to it.

--

The personification of "ambition" is a flea
crawling up an elephant's tail with rape on its mind.

The personification of "delusion" is that flea
arriving at its climax screaming "suffer baby, suffer."