Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE

Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE

Teknowbabble

I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."

OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.

I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
"SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Now I want to take hostages!

Here's my setup:
- Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 47

- P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB

- RAM (512 MB x 2)

1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
(32MB x /(32 x 16 SDRAM Chips

2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
(64MB x 8 SDRAM Chips

** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard

- Windows XP Pro with SP2

Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.

Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
Throughput Highest to Lowest
Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched

Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
Channel B

Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
channels

Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
within a channel

Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
************************************************** *************************

Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
the same basic model or at least I thought.

Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
pair" outright.

Any ideas?

Teknowbabble

Flyer

"Teknowbabble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
> into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
> Mode."
>
> OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
>

> Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
> dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
> is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
> shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
> selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
> pair" outright.

I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
I use Corsair's TwinX brand..

P.

Mike T.

> I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
> channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
> memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
> I use Corsair's TwinX brand..
>
> P.

No, and it's dangerous to spread that rumor. Dual channel requires two RAM
boards with similar specifications, but not necessarily the same model, or
even the same brand.

HOWEVER, that didn't stop unscrupulous memory manufacturers from trying to
profit underhandedly from the dual channel feature.

What I've seen quite often is, brand X will package two of memory stick Y
and set price Z >(cost of 2Y), using "dual channel kit" as a flimsy excuse
for price gouging.

That is, 1GB (one stick) is $100 (for example)
Dual channel kit of 2 X 1GB is $230 (for example)
If you buy the (one) dual channel kit you get EXACTLY what you'd get if you
bought (two) of the 1GB sticks. So as you can see, the math doesn't
compute.

There is nothing special about RAM that is used in dual channel mode. It is
RAM. The chipset uses two RAM sticks as one really wide stick, to slightly
increase bandwidth/memory performance. The RAM is identical, whether you
install one stick or two, and whether you purchase single sticks or a dual
channel "kit". But if you bought the dual channel kit, you might possibly
have paid too much. -Dave

Paul

Teknowbabble wrote:
> I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
> into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
> Mode."
>
> OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
>
> I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
> the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
> and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
> "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
>
> ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
>
> Now I want to take hostages!

> Here's my setup:
> - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 47
>
> - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
>
> - RAM (512 MB x 2)
>
> 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
> (32MB x /(32 x 16 SDRAM Chips
>
> 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
> (64MB x 8 SDRAM Chips
>
> ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
>
> - Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.
>
> ************************************************** **************************
> Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
> Throughput Highest to Lowest
> ************************************************** **************************
> Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
> Channel B
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
> channels
>
> Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
> within a channel
>
> Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
> ************************************************** *************************
>
> Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
> because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
> the same basic model or at least I thought.
>
> Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
> dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
> is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
> shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
> selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
> pair" outright.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Teknowbabble

The evidence they are not matched, is right there in the "16FG"
and the "8TDY" of the part numbers. The first DIMM has 16 chips
and the second DIMM has 8 chips. The first DIMM is made with
32Mx8 chips and the second DIMM is made with 64Mx8 chips. It looks
like the pricing at the component level, must now favor using the
larger memory chips (because I saw mention of an 8 chip Crucial
512MB stick a couple days ago).

A while back, there were a couple 512MB single sided DIMMs, but
they seemed to disappear (probably because they cost more and
weren't competitive). Up to this point, 512MB sticks were more
or less uniformly 16 chip designs, with 32Mx8 chips. But now that
Crucial is shipping that kind of stuff, we'll have to warn people
of the possibility of the mixing of the two kinds of stock. I
hope this doesn't become a popular trend with the manufacturers.
(Not that I think an 8 chip DIMM is bad - it should be better
for overclocking )

Paul

DaveW

To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks RAM
from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual channel
mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work stabley.

--
_________
DaveW
"Teknowbabble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
> into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
> Mode."
>
> OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
>
> I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
> the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
> and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
> "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
>
> ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
>
> Now I want to take hostages!

> Here's my setup:
> - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 47
>
> - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
>
> - RAM (512 MB x 2)
>
> 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
> (32MB x /(32 x 16 SDRAM Chips
>
> 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
> (64MB x 8 SDRAM Chips
>
> ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
>
> - Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.
>
> ************************************************** **************************
> Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
> Throughput Highest to Lowest
> ************************************************** **************************
> Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
> Channel B
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
> channels
>
> Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
> within a channel
>
> Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
> ************************************************** *************************
>
> Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
> because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
> the same basic model or at least I thought.
>
> Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
> dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
> is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
> shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
> selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
> pair" outright.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Teknowbabble

Dave

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks
> RAM from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual
> channel mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work
> stabley.

Well, that's the vicious rumor that people insist on spreading anyway

McFly

Teknowbabble,

Do you know the speed rating of your first RAM? Google CPU-Z and run
it. If the orignal RAM and your new RAM have the same speed rating,
double channel should work...

-fly-

On Mar 9, 7:27 am, "Teknowbabble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
> into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
> Mode."
>
> OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
>
> I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
> the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
> and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
> "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
>
> ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
>
> Now I want to take hostages!

> Here's my setup:
> - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 47
>
> - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
>
> - RAM (512 MB x 2)
>
> 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
> (32MB x /(32 x 16 SDRAM Chips
>
> 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
> (64MB x 8 SDRAM Chips
>
> ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
>
> - Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.
>
> ************************************************** **************************
> Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
> Throughput Highest to Lowest
> ************************************************** **************************
> Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
> Channel B
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
> channels
>
> Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
> within a channel
>
> Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
> ************************************************** *************************
>
> Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
> because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
> the same basic model or at least I thought.
>
> Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
> dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
> is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
> shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
> selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
> pair" outright.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Teknowbabble

John Doe

"Mike T." <noway nohow.not> wrote:

>> I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience,
>> that dual channel working usually requires two matched memory
>> chips. Most of the big memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual
>> channel working. I use Corsair's TwinX brand..
>>
>> P.

> No, and it's dangerous to spread that rumor.

Taking drama classes lately?

The waste of money, probably. Dangerous, hardly.

> -Dave

> From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE
> Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:02:01 -0500

Teknowbabble

On Mar 9, 5:27 am, "Teknowbabble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
> into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
> Mode."
>
> OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
>
> I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
> the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
> and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
> "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
>
> ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
>
> Now I want to take hostages!

> Here's my setup:
> - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 47
>
> - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
>
> - RAM (512 MB x 2)
>
> 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
> (32MB x /(32 x 16 SDRAM Chips
>
> 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
> (64MB x 8 SDRAM Chips
>
> ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
>
> - Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.
>
> ************************************************** ***************************
> Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
> Throughput Highest to Lowest
> ************************************************** ***************************
> Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
> Channel B
>
> Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
> channels
>
> Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
> within a channel
>
> Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
> ************************************************** *************************
>
> Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
> because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
> the same basic model or at least I thought.
>
> Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
> dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
> is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
> shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
> selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
> pair" outright.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Teknowbabble

MAN! THIS FRYS MY CHICKEN!

The worst of it all is that I should have known better. Oh well! Chalk
one up for experience. I wish retailers would let people know that
matched means the same # of chips on each stick and not just the same
part number. Also I noticed a lot of retailers dont put the extensions
(.16FG or .8TDY) after their parts.

I didnt have enough $$$ initially to buy a matched pair. I just
figured I would buy another one down the line.

I called Crucial (aka Micron Technologies) and they said that I needed
to have the same amount of chips on each memory stick. They said that
they are going to 8 chips vs 16 chips (older versions) because its
cheaper. They are also twice as tall by the way.

Part # Stick 1: CT6464Z40B.16FG
Part # Stick 2: CT6464z40B.8TDY

Also, I was told the extensions after the part number indicate the #
of chips on the memory stick. The letters thereafter are strickly for
Crucials Accounting office. They were a little wishy-washy about
saying whether the IC's had to be of Identical makes to be "matched."

I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout

CPU-Z version 1.39
Chipset

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Frequency 199.6 MHz (1:1)
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
Performance Mode disabled

MCHBAR dump
-----------

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
00 04 08 08 08 10 10 10 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
10 11 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60 45 05 A0 D2 C6 42 14 00 71 02 00 20 05 80 00 00
70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
A0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
B0 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00
C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Memory SPD

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number 16VDDF6464AG-40BG1
Serial number 37224D5A
Manufacturing date Week 71/Year 05

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
EPP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
TRAS 6 7 8

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number 8VDDT6464AY-40BD1
Serial number D4168B13
Manufacturing date Week 06/Year 07

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
EPP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
TRAS 6 7 8

Dump Module #1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
00 80 08 07 0D 0A 02 40 00 04 50 70 00 82 08 00 01
10 0E 04 1C 01 02 20 C0 60 70 75 75 3C 28 3C 28 40
20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 30 28 50 00 11
30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 91
40 2C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 31 36 56 44 44 46 36
50 34 36 34 41 47 2D 34 30 42 47 31 01 00 05 47 37
60 22 4D 5A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Dump Module #2
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
00 80 08 07 0D 0B 01 40 00 04 50 70 00 82 08 00 01
10 0E 04 1C 01 02 20 C0 60 70 75 75 3C 28 3C 28 80
20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 30 28 50 00 01
30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 C1
40 2C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 08 38 56 44 44 54 36 34
50 36 34 41 59 2D 34 30 42 44 31 20 01 00 07 06 D4
60 16 8B 13 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Looks like the memory maps are different. Alas, Im Screwed!

Teknowbabble

Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Teknowbabble"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout

>CPU-Z version 1.39

Hmmm ... CPU-Z, huh?
Obviously another utility I need to get.

--
_____
/ ' / ™