Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > setup an adhoc with XP Pro

setup an adhoc with XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?amZ3?=

I used the SP 2 wizard to set up my desktop for access from my lap top. Both
computers are XP Professional. While everything appeared to go well and the
properties info looks correct on the desktop, I'm getting a 'not connected'
under status in the Newwork Connections control panel. The lap top
identifies neighbor's wireless networks, but does not 'see' my desktop
machine.

I'm thinking that somehow I've only set up 'client' status for the desktop.
But, the desktop does not 'see' the other networks the lap top 'sees.'
--
jfw

Alan Muller [MSFT]

It sounds like you are trying to setup an adhoc wireless network on your
desktop machine. The following link provides some great information on the
differences between the network types and how to set your computer up the
way you want:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../wifisoho.mspx

From this page you can follow the link that shows you how to setup "A
Wireless Network Without Using a Wireless Access Point".

--
Alan Muller
Software Design Engineer in Test

purposes only.