Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > N.Y. Times on Sony's DVD Direct recorder

N.Y. Times on Sony's DVD Direct recorder

Frank ess

It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
"non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo

Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
opinion.

--
Frank ess

Barry L. Wallis

Frank ess wrote:
> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to DVD
> format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>
> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.

I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop. The
only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my cable
provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD Direct
as it only senses digital copyright protection.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

--
- Barry

Frank ess

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>>
>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I
>> know
>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
>> opinion.

> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD
> recorder
> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately
> this
> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on
> The
> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this
> by
> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
> Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
>
> If you have specific questions, let me know.

Thank you, Barry.

I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand
or format of DVD blanks?

--
Frank ess

Guy

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>>
>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.
>>

> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop. The
> only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my cable
> provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD Direct
> as it only senses digital copyright protection.
>
> If you have specific questions, let me know.

Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over 1/2
hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

Barry L. Wallis

Frank ess wrote:
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>> Frank ess wrote:
>>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
>>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
>>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>>>
>>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
>>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
>>> opinion.

>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
>> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
>> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
>> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
>> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
>> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
>> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
>> Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
>>
>> If you have specific questions, let me know.

> Thank you, Barry.
>
> I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
> stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape that
> failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand or
> format of DVD blanks?

When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular DVDs I
use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

--
- Barry

Barry L. Wallis

Guy wrote:
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>> Frank ess wrote:
>>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
>>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
>>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>>>
>>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
>>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
>>> opinion.
>>>

>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
>> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
>> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
>> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
>> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
>> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
>> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
>> Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
>>
>> If you have specific questions, let me know.
>>

> Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
> tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over 1/2
> hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
directly to a PC?

--
- Barry

Frank ess

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

>>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD
>>> recorder for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for
>>> my
>>> desktop. The only problem is that it senses copy protected content
>>> from my cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD.
>>> Unfortunately this includes many newer movies on most cable
>>> channels and anything on The Food Network (I am an Alton Brown
>>> Good
>>> Eats fan). I get around this by recording from my DVR to VHS tape.
>>> From there I can record to DVD Direct as it only senses digital
>>> copyright protection. If you have specific questions, let me know.

>> Thank you, Barry.
>>
>> I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
>> stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
>> that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular
>> brand
>> or format of DVD blanks?
>>

> When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
> editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular
> DVDs
> I use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

Thank you again, Barry.

I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes
well.

--
Frank ess

mark_digital©

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to DVD
> format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
>
> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know there
> will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.
>
> --
> Frank ess

OK, any unit that provides flexible recording is worth looking into too.
They're generally fast and make the most of DVD recording space. Since
they're combo units simple AB editing is a breeze. If none of this matters
to you, stay the course.

Guy

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Guy wrote:
>> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

>>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
>>> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
>>> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
>>> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately
>>> this includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything
>>> on The Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around
>>> this by recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to
>>> DVD Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
>>>
>>> If you have specific questions, let me know.
>>>

>> Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
>> tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over
>> 1/2 hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

> Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
> directly to a PC?

I ran my old VHS tape through a datavideo TBC-1000 and then through a
canopus ADVC-100 converter before sending it to iMovie for capture.
Somewhere the AV got un-synced and the longer my recording the worse the
sync. In post process the two are locked fine but once I burn to disk
the sound is out of step. The process is very long with my old/slow
computer so I got very frustrated with the whole endeavor. Under the
heading of "more dollars than sense"... I am intrigued by your
experience. Any thoughts? -Guy

Barry L. Wallis

Frank ess wrote:
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>> Frank ess wrote:

>>> Thank you, Barry.
>>>
>>> I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
>>> stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
>>> that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand
>>> or format of DVD blanks?
>>>

>> When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
>> editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular DVDs
>> I use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

> Thank you again, Barry.
>
> I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes well.

The best part about Costco is their extremely liberal return policy. I
bought the first generation of DVDirect there. When the second
generation came out, I packed everything from the unit I bought back
into the box and brought it back with the receipt. When they asked why I
was returning it I told them that Sony came out with a newer version and
I wanted to replace it. They took it back without any problems. That's
one reason I buy any electronics I can at Costco.

--
- Barry