Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sales of PS3

Sales of PS3

I read an article recently that stated that the sales of PS3 are well below
expectations, and only a fraction of PS2 sales. If this is true, sales of
Blu-Ray discs will similarly be low, since PS3 is the sole financially
practical player for Blu-Ray discs.

I'm banking on the price of a computer Blu-Ray burner falling below $100,
and the blanks below $0.20/GB. At that point I will be stepping up to the
plate. It will still be expensive, but I'll be gambling on the price
falling below $0.10/GB. That's still twice what DVDR costs, but the
convenience of higher density makes it worth while.

How does HD-DVD fit into all this? Well, unless it's significantly cheaper
than Blu-Ray on a per GB basis, I'll be skipping over it.

While we're on the subject, what are the best prices anyone has seen for
DVD-RAM and DVD+RW discs? My last DVD+RW purchase was $0.32 per disc, which
makes it about 8 cents/GB.

You'll notice that I haven't even mentioned video. I'm quite satisfied with
DVD for video.

Norm Strong

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I read an article recently that stated that the sales of PS3 are well below
>expectations, and only a fraction of PS2 sales. If this is true, sales of
>Blu-Ray discs will similarly be low, since PS3 is the sole financially
>practical player for Blu-Ray discs.

There have been more PS3's sold at this time in its lifecycle than there were
PS2's sold during its first few months run. .

>I'm banking on the price of a computer Blu-Ray burner falling below $100,
>and the blanks below $0.20/GB. At that point I will be stepping up to the
>plate. It will still be expensive, but I'll be gambling on the price
>falling below $0.10/GB. That's still twice what DVDR costs, but the
>convenience of higher density makes it worth while.

At that time the PS3 will be cheaper due to blu ray optics being so cheap.