Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Q: When on mute, voipfone drops the call after 5 minutes ???

Q: When on mute, voipfone drops the call after 5 minutes ???

damn-it

Tim wrote:
> ian wrote:
>> On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for
>> the "Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences > Privacy Settings)?

> That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with presence.
>

> I'm wondering now if the original poster has a SIP ALG in his router
> which is killing the call. That the router can't cope with one way
> RTP(audio).
>
> Tim

Good idea Tim

Router is Draytek 2600. Not sure if there is anything to keep the RTP
connection alive.... VoIP phone is plugged directly into the router.

Thanks for the hint. fill fish around....

JM

damn-it

Tim wrote:
> ian wrote:
>> On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for
>> the "Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences > Privacy Settings)?

> That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with presence.
>

> I'm wondering now if the original poster has a SIP ALG in his router
> which is killing the call. That the router can't cope with one way
> RTP(audio).
>
> Tim

Would you say the "Outbound Proxy:" setting would help? I have it blank
for now....

Thanks

Tim

damn-it wrote:
> Router is Draytek 2600. Not sure if there is anything to keep the RTP
> connection alive.... VoIP phone is plugged directly into the router.

You need to telnet to your router and disable the SIP ALG.

once you are in, I think the command is

sys sip 0

That's from memory - I've taken out all my draytek routers now, so I
don't have one I can easily look at.

If the command isn't there, you need to upgrade your router firmware -
the old versions have problems with SIP.

Tim

Tim

damn-it wrote:

> Would you say the "Outbound Proxy:" setting would help? I have it blank
> for now....

Not needed for voipfone and a snom. Your phone was shipped to you
correctly configured.

Tim

Paul Hayes

damn-it wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> ian wrote:
>>> On your SNOM 300, I wonder if you have an inappropriate setting for
>>> the "Presence Inactivity Timeout" (under Preferences > Privacy
>>> Settings)?

>> That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with presence.
>>

>> I'm wondering now if the original poster has a SIP ALG in his router
>> which is killing the call. That the router can't cope with one way
>> RTP(audio).
>>
>> Tim
>>

> Good idea Tim
>
> Router is Draytek 2600. Not sure if there is anything to keep the RTP
> connection alive.... VoIP phone is plugged directly into the router.
>
> Thanks for the hint. fill fish around....
>
> JM

aha! We get a lot of problems with the SIP ALG in these routers. You
need to telnet into it to turn it off:

telnet (ip address of router)

enter username & password as you would to login to it's web interface.

Then issue the command:

sys sip_alg 0

Which should disable it.

Type in:

sys sip_alg

and it'll tell you if it's enabled or not.

If it comes up with an error something along the lines of "command not
found", you'll probably need to upgrade the firmware on the router,
should be available on the Draytek website.

cheers,
Paul.

Tony Mountifield

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
damn-it <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Have a look at the configuration of your phone for something like "Silence
> > Suppression". If it is turned on, try turning it off.
> >
> > The problem is likely that when on mute, the RTP stream from your phone
> > is turned off because you are silent. After 5 min, the remote end thinks
> > you're not there any more. With Silence Suppression disabled, the phone
> > should continue to send an RTP stream containing silence. Hopefully!

> Silence Suppression was Off.... so I set it up to On, and the Mute key
> doesn't work anymore....
>
> But call seems to hold.... (I guess this is the same as not being on
> mute....)....
>
> Is there a mean to configure a keep_alive on RTP?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that brand of phone, so could only talk
in general terms.

That's weird about the Mute key no longer working.

A keepalive heartbeat would be a useful thing to have, but I'm not aware
of one. If you manually unmute and re-mute every few minutes before it
times out, does it keep the call alive?

Sorry I can't help further....

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://www.softins.co.uk

damn-it

Tim wrote:
> damn-it wrote:
>> Router is Draytek 2600. Not sure if there is anything to keep the RTP
>> connection alive.... VoIP phone is plugged directly into the router.

> You need to telnet to your router and disable the SIP ALG.
>
> once you are in, I think the command is
>
> sys sip 0
>
> That's from memory - I've taken out all my draytek routers now, so I
> don't have one I can easily look at.
>
> If the command isn't there, you need to upgrade your router firmware -
> the old versions have problems with SIP.
>

> Tim

Ok,

Don't want to be funny here, but the Draytek already has another VoIP
service on it.... (the `don't put all your eggs in the same basket story`)

I am just trying the same test using voip.co.uk, and the line stays up
(not cut after 7 min, which is a record). That's bad news for
voipfone.co.uk.

Bugger !!!!

If anyone can share any light on this, very welcome.....

JM

damn-it

Paul Hayes wrote:
> damn-it wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>>>
>>> That setting isn't anything to do with audio. It is to do with
>>> presence.
>>>

>>> I'm wondering now if the original poster has a SIP ALG in his router
>>> which is killing the call. That the router can't cope with one way
>>> RTP(audio).
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> Good idea Tim
>>
>> Router is Draytek 2600. Not sure if there is anything to keep the RTP
>> connection alive.... VoIP phone is plugged directly into the router.
>>
>> Thanks for the hint. fill fish around....
>>
>> JM

> aha! We get a lot of problems with the SIP ALG in these routers. You
> need to telnet into it to turn it off:
>
> telnet (ip address of router)
>
> enter username & password as you would to login to it's web interface.
>
> Then issue the command:
>
> sys sip_alg 0
>
> Which should disable it.
>
> Type in:
>
> sys sip_alg
>
> and it'll tell you if it's enabled or not.
>
> If it comes up with an error something along the lines of "command not
> found", you'll probably need to upgrade the firmware on the router,
> should be available on the Draytek website.
>
> cheers,
> Paul.

All,

On the draytek promt:
> sys sip_alg ?

usage: sys sip_alg [value]
0 - disable SIP ALG
1 - enable SIP ALG
current SIP ALG is disabled

So after this last test using voip.co.uk, I think I am going to blame
voipfone rather than draytek or snom....

Any other suggestion, just lst me know...

Thanks

JM

Tim

damn-it wrote:

> Don't want to be funny here, but the Draytek already has another VoIP
> service on it.... (the `don't put all your eggs in the same basket story`)

Just because 1 voip service works, doesn't mean another will. It also
doesn't mean that 2 voip services will work at the same time.

Disabling the draytek ALG has helped for fix loads of people's problems.
It is something I suggest often. It usually helps. I guess at for
at least 50 people i've dealt with.

Tim

damn-it

Tim wrote:
> damn-it wrote:
>>
>> Don't want to be funny here, but the Draytek already has another VoIP
>> service on it.... (the `don't put all your eggs in the same basket
>> story`)

> Just because 1 voip service works, doesn't mean another will. It also
> doesn't mean that 2 voip services will work at the same time.
>
> Disabling the draytek ALG has helped for fix loads of people's problems.
> It is something I suggest often. It usually helps. I guess at for
> at least 50 people i've dealt with.
>
> Tim

I guess I was confused because I thought at fist that disabling SIP ALG
would prevent the phone plugged in the router to work. Anyway, it seems
like SIP ALG was already disabled.

> sys sip_alg ?

usage: sys sip_alg [value]
0 - disable SIP ALG
1 - enable SIP ALG
current SIP ALG is disabled

Which sadly bring me back to my original issue

Any other hints?

For what it is worth, I have tried with voip.co.uk, (opened the account
this morning) and it seems to work correctly with them....

Thanks

JM