Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE peekaboo?

IE peekaboo?

Jonathan N. Little

I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
phffff! So what--it's IE! But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
have checked it with 3 different computers.

Here is a mockup of the page.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
in this guy's browser...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <cdddc$45efa3c8$40cba7b0$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
> the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
> elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
> content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
> peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
> v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
> phffff! So what--it's IE! But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
> have checked it with 3 different computers.
>
> Here is a mockup of the page.
>
> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
> Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser
>
> Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
> in this guy's browser...

Works nicely in all Mac browsers including, I know you are dying
to know, and surprise surprise?, Mac IE.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <cdddc$45efa3c8$40cba7b0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Works nicely in all Mac browsers including, I know you are dying
> to know, and surprise surprise?, Mac IE.

I know, I think his browser is whacked! I cannot get it to fail unless I
remove the "position: relative" on the H1 element, then I get the
classic IE Peekaboo.

I tried to style it to "coordinate" with their <ahhem> website but I
couldn't bring myself to mirror their vintage 90s ....well you know.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Els

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
> the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
> elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
> content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
> peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
> v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
> phffff! So what--it's IE! But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
> have checked it with 3 different computers.
>
> Here is a mockup of the page.
>
> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
> Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser
>
> Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
> in this guy's browser...

No problems in my IE6 (standalone version), but serious probs in IE7:
http://locusmeus.com/temp/pugdog.jpg

From what I tested quickly, it's caused by the italic text in the <em>
elements (IE italic bug), but can be solved by making enough space for
it, or constraining elements by giving them zoom:1 (IE only code, will
cause validation error). Zoom:1 gives an element 'layout' in IE
(Google for 'hasLayout'), just like position:relative does in some
cases too.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
>> in this guy's browser...

> No problems in my IE6 (standalone version), but serious probs in IE7:
> http://locusmeus.com/temp/pugdog.jpg
>
> From what I tested quickly, it's caused by the italic text in the <em>
> elements (IE italic bug), but can be solved by making enough space for
> it, or constraining elements by giving them zoom:1 (IE only code, will
> cause validation error). Zoom:1 gives an element 'layout' in IE
> (Google for 'hasLayout'), just like position:relative does in some
> cases too.

Thanks Els, I could not get the guy to send me screen shot. I bet he has
IE7 not IE6 as he says! I have not access to 7.

If I add horizontal padding to the EM element fix this, or do I have to
make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

I just love IE!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
>>> in this guy's browser...

>> No problems in my IE6 (standalone version), but serious probs in IE7:
>> http://locusmeus.com/temp/pugdog.jpg
>>
>> From what I tested quickly, it's caused by the italic text in the <em>
>> elements (IE italic bug), but can be solved by making enough space for
>> it, or constraining elements by giving them zoom:1 (IE only code, will
>> cause validation error). Zoom:1 gives an element 'layout' in IE
>> (Google for 'hasLayout'), just like position:relative does in some
>> cases too.

> Thanks Els, I could not get the guy to send me screen shot. I bet he has
> IE7 not IE6 as he says! I have not access to 7.
>
> If I add horizontal padding to the EM element fix this,

No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
#innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
anything though.

> or do I have to
> make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

That certainly does help, as it takes away the Italic bug all together

> I just love IE!

Don't we all!

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:

> No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
> #innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
> One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
> the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
> anything though.

NOPE! position:relative on #outerWrapper TOTALLY wipes out both floats
in IE6! I love it!

>> or do I have to
>> make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

Okay I have change EM, does it now work in IE7?

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
<shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
>> #innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
>> One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
>> the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
>> anything though.

> NOPE! position:relative on #outerWrapper TOTALLY wipes out both floats
> in IE6! I love it!

<g>

>>> or do I have to
>>> make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

> Okay I have change EM, does it now work in IE7?
>
> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/

Yup, works nicely

> I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
> <shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

And then you'll see IE7 too then?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Live - [Untitled]

Jonathan N. Little

Els wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Els wrote:
>>
>>> No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
>>> #innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
>>> One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
>>> the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
>>> anything though.

>> NOPE! position:relative on #outerWrapper TOTALLY wipes out both floats
>> in IE6! I love it!

> <g>

>> Okay I have change EM, does it now work in IE7?
>>
>> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/

> Yup, works nicely

THANKS! I needed to put this puppy to bed.

>> I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
>> <shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

> And then you'll see IE7 too then?

Gaw'd I hate the Fisher-Price GUI, that is the first hack I will have to
apply. Next the stupid "wizards" for setting things up. If you know
what you are doing configuring network settings is straightforward even
in old W98, Don't have to watch the little inane animation "Preparing
your network connection..." for 10 minutes while XP queries and logs
every possible configuration and resource! The Linux that I use for my
servers is beginning to look more an more attractive for my desktop

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <36eea$45f02779$40cba7c3$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
> <shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

....go ahead and leave me to be the only turkey left in the world
with Win 2000 on my Win box.

--
dorayme