Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wi-Fi camera on my website

Wi-Fi camera on my website

Junkyard Engineer

Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have to
get Sololink.

How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?

tia

Sooner Al

If your running Windows XP perhaps the "Webcam Timershot" Power Toy would work for you...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have to
> get Sololink.
>
> How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?
>
> tia

Junkyard Engineer

Hi,

You are right so here it is :

Router Wi-Fi linksys WRT54GS. WEP enabled
Main PC connected RJ45 to router. WinXP pro IIS 5.1/FTP running. Port
forwarding range 79-82 IIS and range 19-22 for FTP. DMZ enabled.
Children PC connected via wi-fi, no problem/question there.
Laptop via Wi-Fi, no problem/question there
Linksys WVC54G Wi-Fi camera installed in the room of my future baby ! (april
'05) Working no problem

I want to view the camera (real time) via an internet link when I'm not home
to check what's going on in his room (yes, it will be a boy ! it's my 4th !)

Timelap pictures sent to my FTP is probably one way to do part of it. But
Linksys bundle Sololink (quite expensive) where you can access your camera
via internet live. So if they are doing it, I don't see why I can't.

I've setup the camera on channel 6, infrastructure network and WEP and
activated port 1024. I've open a port forwarding 1024 in my router and like
IIS & FTP enabled it on IP 192.168.1.100 which is the IP of my PC.

When I'm accessing http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 it gives me an error where it
can't find the server.

So, what's next ?

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Hi
> I think you should consider posting more details about your settings.
> What are you using beside the Camera for this venture?
> How the camera is connected to your system and how it managed by the
> system?
> Where do you want to access it from?
> Why it is a Wireless issue?
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have

>> get Sololink.
>>
>> How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?
>>
>> tia

Sooner Al

Another solution maybe the free Microsoft Portrait program.

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

You can call direct IP-to-IP. Forward TCP Port 8100 (Listen), UDP Port 8110 (Video) and UDP Port
8210 (Audio) through any firewall/NAT/router to the private LAN IP of the PC the webcam is connected
to.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router or setup a fully qualified domain name and call
using that...

I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop, Portrait, etc...

http://www.no-ip.com

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> You are right so here it is :
>
> Router Wi-Fi linksys WRT54GS. WEP enabled
> Main PC connected RJ45 to router. WinXP pro IIS 5.1/FTP running. Port forwarding range 79-82 IIS
> and range 19-22 for FTP. DMZ enabled.
> Children PC connected via wi-fi, no problem/question there.
> Laptop via Wi-Fi, no problem/question there
> Linksys WVC54G Wi-Fi camera installed in the room of my future baby ! (april '05) Working no
> problem
>
> I want to view the camera (real time) via an internet link when I'm not home to check what's going
> on in his room (yes, it will be a boy ! it's my 4th !)
>
> Timelap pictures sent to my FTP is probably one way to do part of it. But Linksys bundle Sololink
> (quite expensive) where you can access your camera via internet live. So if they are doing it, I
> don't see why I can't.
>
> I've setup the camera on channel 6, infrastructure network and WEP and activated port 1024. I've
> open a port forwarding 1024 in my router and like IIS & FTP enabled it on IP 192.168.1.100 which
> is the IP of my PC.
>
> When I'm accessing http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 it gives me an error where it can't find the server.
>
> So, what's next ?
>

> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> a écrit dans le message de news: (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I think you should consider posting more details about your settings.
>> What are you using beside the Camera for this venture?
>> How the camera is connected to your system and how it managed by the system?
>> Where do you want to access it from?
>> Why it is a Wireless issue?
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have

>>> get Sololink.
>>>
>>> How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?
>>>
>>> tia

Jack

Hi
I think you should consider posting more details about your settings.
What are you using beside the Camera for this venture?
How the camera is connected to your system and how it managed by the system?
Where do you want to access it from?
Why it is a Wireless issue?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have

> get Sololink.
>
> How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?
>
> tia

RRoSaLeS

Your WVC54G should have its own IP address just like any other PCs
behind your router. So, if your main PC has 192.168.1.100, your WVC54G
should have something like 192.168.1.10n. You should forward port 1024
to that IP address. Then your http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 should work.

Try that and let us know if it works.

Cheers!

"Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<#$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> You are right so here it is :
>
> Router Wi-Fi linksys WRT54GS. WEP enabled
> Main PC connected RJ45 to router. WinXP pro IIS 5.1/FTP running. Port
> forwarding range 79-82 IIS and range 19-22 for FTP. DMZ enabled.
> Children PC connected via wi-fi, no problem/question there.
> Laptop via Wi-Fi, no problem/question there
> Linksys WVC54G Wi-Fi camera installed in the room of my future baby ! (april
> '05) Working no problem
>
> I want to view the camera (real time) via an internet link when I'm not home
> to check what's going on in his room (yes, it will be a boy ! it's my 4th !)
>
> Timelap pictures sent to my FTP is probably one way to do part of it. But
> Linksys bundle Sololink (quite expensive) where you can access your camera
> via internet live. So if they are doing it, I don't see why I can't.
>
> I've setup the camera on channel 6, infrastructure network and WEP and
> activated port 1024. I've open a port forwarding 1024 in my router and like
> IIS & FTP enabled it on IP 192.168.1.100 which is the IP of my PC.
>
> When I'm accessing http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 it gives me an error where it
> can't find the server.
>
> So, what's next ?
>

> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > I think you should consider posting more details about your settings.
> > What are you using beside the Camera for this venture?
> > How the camera is connected to your system and how it managed by the
> > system?
> > Where do you want to access it from?
> > Why it is a Wireless issue?
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Since I have IIS installed on my PC, I don't see why I would pay to have

> >> get Sololink.
> >>
> >> How can I access my linksys WVC54G wi-fi camera through my website ?
> >>
> >> tia

Junkyard Engineer

Well, there was 2 problems (at least).

1) yes the camera has it's own address but there was no DNS defined. I
didn't know that until I was ready to send back everything to Cisco. I got
my RMA # and suddenly, on "more knowledgeable" techies phoned me. He
remotely connected to the router and help me out debugging it. So the first
problem was no DNS. He ask me to put some bizarre number there with no
relation to what I saw anywhere else on my PC. Anyway it didn't worked.

2) So after few minutes, he changed port 1024 to 1025 and bang, it worked.

3) I should tell you that since I got my router (WRT54GS) the connnection
kept dropping for no apparent reason and reconnected immediately. When I'm
trying to access a FTP site or anybody trying to access my IIS/FTP site, the
connection dropped right away and reconnected within 1 - 2 second. I tried
the Zero configuration, WEP, No WEP, 802.11checked/unchecked. Same problem.
Also, for no apparent reason, my PC IP which is connected via a cable to the
router (other PCs are WI-FI) keep changing it's IP from 192.168.1.100 to 101
or 102 and then come back on 100. Since I have IIS and port forwarding is
not automatic, I was checking my PC IP all the time just to be sure it's
still there.

Anyway, I'm speaking in the past tense as you might have read. That's
because, the following morning of the camera-phone-Cisco-event, the router
went completely bazooka. For no reason, during the night, now my PC is
connected directely to the internet. I have a full IP. It's just like the
router is not there anymore. Reset or not, the problem is the same.

So call back Cisco, and the techie told me to get a RMA#. So, I'm waiting
since 2 weeks now because believe it or not, they don't even have one in
stock ! When I saw that there was a backorder on my unit, I called them back
and told them that there was several units in my local computer store ! Why
can't have some on hand ! Anyway, that's the story so far.

If I can tell you all something, don't buy anything from Cisco. The first
WVC54 camera I got was not even powering up. I paid 15$ to send it back
because of poor, really poor quality control from Cisco. They don't even
want to pay for it.

Can you believe that ?
"RRoSaLeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your WVC54G should have its own IP address just like any other PCs
> behind your router. So, if your main PC has 192.168.1.100, your WVC54G
> should have something like 192.168.1.10n. You should forward port 1024
> to that IP address. Then your http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 should work.
>
> Try that and let us know if it works.
>
> Cheers!
>

> "Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<#$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> You are right so here it is :
>>
>> Router Wi-Fi linksys WRT54GS. WEP enabled
>> Main PC connected RJ45 to router. WinXP pro IIS 5.1/FTP running. Port
>> forwarding range 79-82 IIS and range 19-22 for FTP. DMZ enabled.
>> Children PC connected via wi-fi, no problem/question there.
>> Laptop via Wi-Fi, no problem/question there
>> Linksys WVC54G Wi-Fi camera installed in the room of my future baby !
>> (april
>> '05) Working no problem
>>
>> I want to view the camera (real time) via an internet link when I'm not
>> home
>> to check what's going on in his room (yes, it will be a boy ! it's my 4th
>> !)
>>
>> Timelap pictures sent to my FTP is probably one way to do part of it. But
>> Linksys bundle Sololink (quite expensive) where you can access your
>> camera
>> via internet live. So if they are doing it, I don't see why I can't.
>>
>> I've setup the camera on channel 6, infrastructure network and WEP and
>> activated port 1024. I've open a port forwarding 1024 in my router and
>> like
>> IIS & FTP enabled it on IP 192.168.1.100 which is the IP of my PC.
>>
>> When I'm accessing http:// 69.70.XXX.YYY:1024 it gives me an error where
>> it
>> can't find the server.
>>
>> So, what's next ?
>>

>> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> > I think you should consider posting more details about your settings.
>> > What are you using beside the Camera for this venture?
>> > How the camera is connected to your system and how it managed by the
>> > system?
>> > Where do you want to access it from?
>> > Why it is a Wireless issue?
>> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
>> >

>> > "Junkyard Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

setting up website inside a website sck10 ASP .Net 1 04-13-2006 09:18 PM
Website on a website. Shawn ASP .Net 3 01-15-2006 04:58 AM
deploying website or copying website? Flip ASP .Net 1 11-22-2005 06:25 PM
how to reinstall website when the name of the website changed. A Leon HTML 4 03-04-2004 07:44 AM
Update website via website? Adrian Wood HTML 13 02-25-2004 11:32 PM

Advertisments