Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > belkin 54g always works on 11 Mbps

belkin 54g always works on 11 Mbps

hans

I have an 54g AP (the SMC 7804 WBRB). Works great.
I have an ALDI pc with wireless, it shows a connection at
54 Mbps. Works great.

I have a laptop with Belkin adapter plugged in
sold to me as a 54g, but i have never seen it working on
that speed. It is always at 11 Mbps.

How do I change that?

Anyone having the same experience ???
----------------
Also, under XP, SP2 Microsoft now says:
"Limited connection or no connection" for the wireless,
while there is a strong (green) signal!

"Repair" takes a long time and never does anything usefull.
Restart helps and solves this. Is there a quicker way?

thanks for tips
hans

Eric P.

I have a PC a floor below with a 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card
F5D7000df which I'm using for Internet and in a local network together
with 11b equipment.
I know you can choose between several speed options in the Windows
network configuration of the device.
Maybe "802.11b mode" or similar has been selected.

hans wrote:
> I have a laptop with Belkin adapter plugged in sold to me as a 54g,
> but i have never seen it working on that speed. It is always at 11
> Mbps. How do I change that?

hans

Eric P. wrote:

> I have a PC a floor below with a 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card
> F5D7000df which I'm using for Internet and in a local network together
> with 11b equipment.
> I know you can choose between several speed options in the Windows
> network configuration of the device.
> Maybe "802.11b mode" or similar has been selected.
>
> hans wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop with Belkin adapter plugged in sold to me as a 54g,
>> but i have never seen it working on that speed. It is always at 11
>> Mbps. How do I change that?

I know what you mean. I have checked that, it's on 54g mode.
Thanks

I forgot to mention that distance is not an issue.
When the laptop is next to the AP I still have the same problem.

hans