Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > algorithms in C++ book

algorithms in C++ book

arnuld

i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
(listing only those that are available in my country:

1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
(1e)
4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)

besides these 2 more are available:

5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
(1e)
6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
Hopcraft (1e)
7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)

i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
one you recommend ?

Victor Bazarov

arnuld wrote:
> i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
> Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
> (listing only those that are available in my country:
>
> 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
> 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
> 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
> (1e)
> 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
>
> besides these 2 more are available:
>
> 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
> (1e)
> 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
> Hopcraft (1e)
> 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)
>

> i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
> know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
> one you recommend ?

For general stuff, Sedgewick is OK. For math-related stuff (whether
you'll need it I don't know), try "Scientific and Engineering C++";
I don't recall the author[s], google for it.

John Harrison

arnuld wrote:
> i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
> Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
> (listing only those that are available in my country:
>
> 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
> 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
> 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
> (1e)
> 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
>
> besides these 2 more are available:
>
> 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
> (1e)
> 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
> Hopcraft (1e)
> 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)
>

> i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
> know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
> one you recommend ?

Sedgewick, apparently the C++ is atrocious, but the explanations of the
algorithms are very good (I haven't read the C++ edition, only the
non-language specific edition).

The Cormen book is very good, but more academic. I'm not familiar with
the others.

john

red floyd

John Harrison wrote:
> arnuld wrote:
>> i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
>> Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
>> (listing only those that are available in my country:
>>
>> 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
>> 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
>> 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
>> (1e)
>> 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
>>
>> besides these 2 more are available:
>>
>> 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
>> (1e)
>> 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
>> Hopcraft (1e)
>> 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)

Aho, Ullman, and Hopcraft (I've always called it "Aho, Hopcraft, and
Ullman") is not C++ specific, but is an excellent algorithms book.