Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sony DCR-TRV265E Digital Camcorder - firewire or AV?

Sony DCR-TRV265E Digital Camcorder - firewire or AV?

justaskjim@googlemail.com

The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?

The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
better option for quality?

My DVD recorder has i-link and firewire input ports.

- Sony DCR-TRV265E Digital Camcorder

1st post......woo hoo.

Thanks

Jim

Soundblaster

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
> appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
> better option for quality?
>
> My DVD recorder has i-link and firewire input ports.
>
> - Sony DCR-TRV265E Digital Camcorder
>
> 1st post......woo hoo.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

The firewire connection is a pure unadulterated digital connection.
But I don't know of any TV with firewire.
Assuming your PC is equipped with a firewire port, you can capture
footage to PC with Windows Movie Maker and edit and burn DVD's
if your PC has a burner?
You haven't specified how you are connecting to your TV etc, accept
to say via AV leads? Thats an analog connection.
I suggest you connect by firewire to your DVD recorder, which is
in turn connected to your TV.
Your Sony camcorder will have a menu for configuring outputs
this is fully detailed in the instruction manual.
Buy a firewire interconnect and read the instruction manual and
experiment with connections etc.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
> appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
> better option for quality?

This may be stating the obvious, but you do know that a small LCD
monitor by its nature will appear sharper than a large television? Add
to that different TVs are adjusted differently giving differing
appearances. And finally Digital 8 cameras do not shoot HD video, more
like SD DVD quality video, so your expectations may be a little high.

Soundblaster

news:45eed853$0$29763$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
>> appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
>>
>> The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
>> better option for quality?

> This may be stating the obvious, but you do know that a small LCD monitor
> by its nature will appear sharper than a large television? Add to that
> different TVs are adjusted differently giving differing appearances. And
> finally Digital 8 cameras do not shoot HD video, more like SD DVD quality
> video, so your expectations may be a little high.

I think the OP just hasn't tried the firewire option to his DVD recorder
nor to PC, in fact Sony instruction manuals cover all these options and
all that is required is for the OP to read the instructions and try the
differing options. There could also be the possibility OP is recording
in Long Play which of course reduces quality of footage....

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Soundblaster wrote:

> I think the OP just hasn't tried the firewire option to his DVD recorder
> nor to PC, in fact Sony instruction manuals cover all these options and
> all that is required is for the OP to read the instructions and try the
> differing options.

I've used quite a few combinations of digital and analog sources hooked
up with digital and analog cables, never really noticed THAT much
difference in picture quality. It takes a critical eye to tell which is
being used just by looking at the TV

> There could also be the possibility OP is recording
> in Long Play which of course reduces quality of footage....

Not true. Recording in long play using a *digital* camcorder does not
reduce picture quality, it merely reduces the size of the diagonal
stripe that it's recording to on the tape and moving the tape a little
slower. The amount of data recorded per second and the picture quality
remain unchanged.

justaskjim@googlemail.com

Thanks Roger and Soundblaster. My DVD recorder is a Philips DVDR3380
DVD Recorder and has a Firewire IEEE-1394 Interface.

TV is connected to DVD recorder via scart lead.
Camcorder is connected to TV via AV leads.

I dont have a PC, just a laptop from work which is lets say
'lockdown'.

I am recording in LP as it happens.

My camcorder and DVD recorder can be connected by firewire so I'll try
this and let you know how I get on. I skimmed the instuction manual
for the camcorder a couple of years back when I bought it and havent
looked at since. The menu options are intuitive enough.

Thanks again.

The "OP"?