Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pronunciation question

pronunciation question

edgy

Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no avail!
I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
"zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
hand that would have this?

Thanks for any help!

Whiskers

On 2007-03-07, edgy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no avail!
> I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
> "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
> hand that would have this?
>
> Thanks for any help!

That's a very good question.

Whoever invented that word probably didn't even think about how to say it.

Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).

Using English as a guide, the y should be a long vowel, such as the one in
'fly' (rhymes with eye). The normal Latin spelling for that sound would
be ae.

The g followed by the i could work together to make 'jee' (rhymes with
flee) in English, but Latin would go for 'gee' (sounds like ghee but
without the h); which would also 'not be wrong' in English.

The 'ell' part is going to rhyme with 'hell' in either language (with only
one l being pronounced). Welsh or Spanish speakers may have other ideas
about that.

The final a would be like the a in car.

So we have either "zae gee ella" or "zae jee ella" depending on how Latin
you want it to sound. The stress would be on the ell in Latin, and
probably in English too.

"Eeeek!! SPIDER!!" might be what some people actually say.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

x@y

"edgy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no avail!
> I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
> "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
> hand that would have this?
>
> Thanks for any help!

http://tinyurl.com/ywf84s

Aardvark

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:28:41 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
> letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
> 'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).

The word probably has Greek etymology. The 'zy' being the English version
of 'zeta-upsilon'. For some reason when this combination of Greek letters
is transliterated into English the 'upsilon' (which for all intents and
purposes is the equivalent of the letter 'u') becomes 'y' although the
letter becomes shortened when pronouncing it.

For this reason I suspect that this section of the word would more than
likely be pronounced 'zu' with the 'u' being very short almost to the
point of being a mute vowel.

Thus I would pronounce the word 'zi-j-yella'.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Shoo

edgy wrote:
> Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no
> avail! I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
> "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
> hand that would have this?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Like "Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly And The Spiders
From Mars"

Aardvark

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:23:20 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:28:41 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>

>> Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
>> letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
>> 'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).
>>

> The word probably has Greek etymology. The 'zy' being the English version
> of 'zeta-upsilon'. For some reason when this combination of Greek letters
> is transliterated into English the 'upsilon' (which for all intents and
> purposes is the equivalent of the letter 'u') becomes 'y' although the
> letter becomes shortened when pronouncing it.
>
> For this reason I suspect that this section of the word would more than
> likely be pronounced 'zu' with the 'u' being very short almost to the
> point of being a mute vowel.
>
> Thus I would pronounce the word 'zi-j-yella'.

Forgot to mention. When the Greek letter 'gamma' (g) is transliterated
into English, what was a hard letter (as in 'go) becomes a soft letter (as
in 'jam').

Think of other Greek-based words like 'genesis' (in Greek with the hard
'g') or 'syzygy' (in which the first two letters 'y' are pronounced like
the letter 'i' as in 'it'- 'sizijee').

This is why I made the assumption that the 'g' in zygiella is soft.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

dadiOH

edgy wrote:
> Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no
> avail! I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the
> word "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or
> something at hand that would have this?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Just say...

zee-gee-EL-la

because no one else knows either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

cineman

http://dictionary.algebra.com/words/...ygiella_indica

be quick to catch it tho.

"edgy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:esm8ud$isg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no avail!
> I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word "zygiella" -
> perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at hand that would
> have this?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Bart van Herk

<zygiella" - perhaps >