Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > looking for Java final/Ruby freeze functionality in Python

looking for Java final/Ruby freeze functionality in Python

Antoine De Groote

Hello,

I've been googling for quite a while now but can't find anything about a
function/keyword to make a list (or something else) immutable. Could
anybody point me to docs about this matter or give me a reason why this
(apparently) doesn't exist in Python?

Kind regards,
antoine

Bart Van Loon

It was Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:38:16 +0100, when Antoine De Groote wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been googling for quite a while now but can't find anything about a
> function/keyword to make a list (or something else) immutable. Could
> anybody point me to docs about this matter or give me a reason why this
> (apparently) doesn't exist in Python?

what about a tuple?

--
regards,
BBBart

My family is dysfunctional and my parents won't empower me. Consequently
I'm not self actualized. -- Calvin

Arnaud Delobelle

On Mar 4, 7:38 pm, Antoine De Groote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been googling for quite a while now but can't find anything about a
> function/keyword to make a list (or something else) immutable. Could
> anybody point me to docs about this matter or give me a reason why this
> (apparently) doesn't exist in Python?

First result from google 'python freeze object':

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0351/

The PEP was rejected but the document contains a link to a discussion
about why there is no such thing in python:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ry/060793.html

HTH

--
Arnaud

Antoine De Groote

yes thanks, that is quite what I was looking for.