Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Best method For CD destruction

Reply
Thread Tools

Best method For CD destruction

 
 
dr@him.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007

I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.

This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.

I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
of destruction remains)

or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
work but tiring on the arms.

or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
as proof. (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong
enough?)

I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
thought it an interesting enough problem.







 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
> Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
> In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.
>
> This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
> The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
>
> I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
> of destruction remains)
>
> or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
> work but tiring on the arms.
>
> or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
> just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
> as proof. (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong
> enough?)
>
> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
> thought it an interesting enough problem.


A microwave oven may do the trick. It fragments the reflective layer,
and reacts with the dye.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dr@him.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
In article <45ee92a9$0$31054$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
> > Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
> > In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.
> >
> > This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
> > The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
> >
> > I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
> > of destruction remains)
> >
> > or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
> > work but tiring on the arms.
> >
> > or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
> > just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
> > as proof. (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong
> > enough?)
> >
> > I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
> > thought it an interesting enough problem.

>
> A microwave oven may do the trick. It fragments the reflective layer,
> and reacts with the dye.
>


But would destroy the microwave and perhaps set fire to the discs.
I don't think using a microwave is a very good idea at all ever.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sharky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
>Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
>In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.


You could shred them

http://www.periphman.com/cd-shredder/per600.shtml

and if that's not enough, you can burn the remains.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Seniors Guide to Computers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
> Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
> In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.
>
> This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
> The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
>
> I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
> of destruction remains)
>
> or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
> work but tiring on the arms.
>
> or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
> just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
> as proof. (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong
> enough?)
>


Send them to my son - they're history!

Senior's Guide to Computers
http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com


> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
> thought it an interesting enough problem.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Unruh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
"Wayne." <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
>> Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
>> In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.
>>
>> This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
>> The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
>>
>> I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
>> of destruction remains)
>>
>> or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
>> work but tiring on the arms.
>>
>> or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
>> just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
>> as proof. (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong
>> enough?)
>>
>> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
>> thought it an interesting enough problem.


>A microwave oven may do the trick. It fragments the reflective layer,
>and reacts with the dye.

a) that is special equipment. and b you will probably burn out the
microwave oven long before you finish.
b) I am a bit dubious about the acid bit.
d) fire, except for the release of all that toxic smoke. Similarly sanding
would release a fine dust with unknown hazards in it. Is your life worth
the destruction of this data?
There do exist shredders which can handle CDs. 12000 of them sounds like a
bit much.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Moe Trin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
>Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
>In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.


I'm assuming individually created CDs - is the destruction requirement
official (some government agency), corporate policy, or personal? If
bit-reading is a concern - a _very_ expensive procedure, given the bit
density (average about 50000 per linear inch, with a track density of
roughly 16000 TPI) then the only solution is the total destruction of
the media.

>This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
>The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
>
>I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
>of destruction remains)


1. If this is an official government requirement, contact the government
security officer, and do EXACTLY what they tell you to do. No exceptions.

2. If this is a corporate requirement, contact a commercial data
destruction service. They have the necessary hardware and experience,
and have (or can get) the appropriate permits. Burning, or dissolving the
media is normally a witnessed procedure, whether official or a company
destruction scheme. If you insist on doing this internally, then hit
goggle and get a copy of the (US) DoD 5220.22-M National Industrial
Security Program Operating Manual(NISPOM) for recommended procedures.

3. If this is a private or personal requirement, you have to make a
realistic decision of who is going to be interested in those bits, and
how much time and effort they are going to be willing to put into the
task of recovering the data. Normally, feeding the CDs to am industrial
grade paper shredder (not a cheap one - read the manual) twice is adequate,
especially if you then stir the chunks. Do you want to do that 'jig-saw'
puzzle? (Assuming 5 x 5 mm pieces, you've got a five million piece puzzle.)
If these are CD-RAW disks, another alternative is to heat the disks to a
high temperature (a very minimum of 200C, with 500 to 700C being even
better) but watch the fire hazard.

Note that burning or dissolving may release toxic fumes, while the
chemicals used to dissolve the media are not without hazard. But then,
cutting, sanding, or similar isn't without danger either. Wear eye
protection, and take other appropriate measures. Note also that burning
and the disposal of chemicals may require government permits.

>or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
>work but tiring on the arms.


12000 pieces? You are going to be one very tired puppy. Hell, even feeding
them into a cross-cut shredder is going to take a couple of days.

>or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
>just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
>as proof.


Surely you jest.

>(Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong enough?)


No. Contact a commercial destruction firm.

>I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
>thought it an interesting enough problem.


----
from a post in alt.humor.best-of-usenet - original posting to 'uk.misc'

> What's the best way of disposing of them in such a way that the hard
> disks can never be used again, not even if they swap parts with 'donor'
> hard disks?


Post them to yourself via City Link to destroy them, and then post
them again via Parcel Force for disposal.
----

Good Luck!

Old guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Merrill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
> Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.

....
> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
> thought it an interesting enough problem.
>


put them under a heat lamp until they curl up! They'll still
pretty much fit together so that they can be counted!

[Best bet is to shred 'em under the watch of a notary public
who can seal a document proving they were destroyed.]
 
Reply With Quote
 
dr@him.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
> > Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.

> ...
> > I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
> > thought it an interesting enough problem.
> >



Thank you all for your input.
Appart from the fact that no one seems to have actually read the
requirement and some of you seem paranoid or determined to go off
on wild tangents invoving mysterious government agencies etc...

Shredding leaves data and is totally worthless.
Fire has already been ruled out as leaving no proof.
Microwave is just plain stupid.
Sanding will work fine for low volumes - dust isnt a problem
except for the severely allergic - in which case someone else can do
the job wearing a mask (What are you - 6 years old?)- but I have a large
quantity.

Signed notorisation merely guarantees a fraudulent interest - this is
always something to be avoided - its a dumb practice all round.

I suspect my original concept is clearly the best.
i.e. mild acid soaking.

That can leave a plastic disk for proof of quantity and blankness of
each.

Furthermore the principle can have control of the dustbin.

Thank you all again.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2007
From: "Moe Trin" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
| <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
|
>> I need to destroy the data on 12,000 CD discs.
>> Destruction of data needs to be total and visibly complete.
>> In other words - nothing left for any bit-reader to work on.

|
| I'm assuming individually created CDs - is the destruction requirement
| official (some government agency), corporate policy, or personal? If
| bit-reading is a concern - a _very_ expensive procedure, given the bit
| density (average about 50000 per linear inch, with a track density of
| roughly 16000 TPI) then the only solution is the total destruction of
| the media.
|
>> This is a one off job so buying special machinery isn't an option.
>> The security of the data is such that outsourcing is not possible.
>>
>> I've had a few ideas such as simply burning (not top of list as no proof
>> of destruction remains)

|
| 1. If this is an official government requirement, contact the government
| security officer, and do EXACTLY what they tell you to do. No exceptions.
|
| 2. If this is a corporate requirement, contact a commercial data
| destruction service. They have the necessary hardware and experience,
| and have (or can get) the appropriate permits. Burning, or dissolving the
| media is normally a witnessed procedure, whether official or a company
| destruction scheme. If you insist on doing this internally, then hit
| goggle and get a copy of the (US) DoD 5220.22-M National Industrial
| Security Program Operating Manual(NISPOM) for recommended procedures.
|
| 3. If this is a private or personal requirement, you have to make a
| realistic decision of who is going to be interested in those bits, and
| how much time and effort they are going to be willing to put into the
| task of recovering the data. Normally, feeding the CDs to am industrial
| grade paper shredder (not a cheap one - read the manual) twice is adequate,
| especially if you then stir the chunks. Do you want to do that 'jig-saw'
| puzzle? (Assuming 5 x 5 mm pieces, you've got a five million piece puzzle.)
| If these are CD-RAW disks, another alternative is to heat the disks to a
| high temperature (a very minimum of 200C, with 500 to 700C being even
| better) but watch the fire hazard.
|
| Note that burning or dissolving may release toxic fumes, while the
| chemicals used to dissolve the media are not without hazard. But then,
| cutting, sanding, or similar isn't without danger either. Wear eye
| protection, and take other appropriate measures. Note also that burning
| and the disposal of chemicals may require government permits.
|
>> or surface planing (hand drill maybe with sanding attachment) - would
>> work but tiring on the arms.

|
| 12000 pieces? You are going to be one very tired puppy. Hell, even feeding
| them into a cross-cut shredder is going to take a couple of days.
|
>> or my best idea yet is a plastic dustbin full of some sort of weak acid
>> just strong enough to totally eat the data layer then wash the discs off
>> as proof.

|
| Surely you jest.
|
>> (Ideas for solvent/acid are welcome - is vinegar strong enough?)

|
| No. Contact a commercial destruction firm.
|
>> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any better ideas as I
>> thought it an interesting enough problem.

|
| ----
| from a post in alt.humor.best-of-usenet - original posting to 'uk.misc'
|
>> What's the best way of disposing of them in such a way that the hard
>> disks can never be used again, not even if they swap parts with 'donor'
>> hard disks?

|
| Post them to yourself via City Link to destroy them, and then post
| them again via Parcel Force for disposal.
| ----
|
| Good Luck!
|
| Old guy

As usual.... Excellent advice.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TimerTask destruction Jeff Java 4 08-20-2004 01:26 AM
Free to wrong pool 15dd170 not 15d2750 during global destruction. Gavin Williams Perl 0 07-22-2004 09:13 PM
destruction of the outlook folders =?Utf-8?B?bXVubXVuaXg=?= Microsoft Certification 0 04-09-2004 06:36 PM
mod_perl errors: prototype mismatch ... during global destruction ian douglas Perl 0 08-18-2003 11:17 PM
is google hacked? search for "weapons of mass destruction" alfa1 Computer Support 7 07-05-2003 07:40 PM



Advertisments