Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [OT] I'm from Missouri.

[OT] I'm from Missouri.

v4vijayakumar

No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

Just curious.

Marcelo Pinto

On 6 mar, 09:53, "v4vijayakumar" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
> faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
>
> Just curious.

It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too.

--
Marcelo Pinto

Victor Bazarov

Marcelo Pinto wrote:
> On 6 mar, 09:53, "v4vijayakumar" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
>> faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
>>
>> Just curious.

> It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too.

Old code:

class A {
public:
virtual ~A() {}
virtual void foo(int); // whatever
};

void bar(A* pa) { // library function
pa->foo(42);
}

New code:

class B : public A {
void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
};

A *pa = new B;
..
bar(pa); // making old code call new code

Pete Becker

v4vijayakumar wrote:
> No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
> faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

--

-- Pete

Default User

Pete Becker wrote:

> v4vijayakumar wrote:
> > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
> > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
> >

> It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm
> from Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

That's just the sort of hard-headed SOBs that we are.

Brian

Marcelo Pinto

On 6 mar, 11:36, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Old code:
>
> class A {
> public:
> virtual ~A() {}
> virtual void foo(int); // whatever
> };
>
> void bar(A* pa) { // library function
> pa->foo(42);
> }
>
> New code:
>
> class B : public A {
> void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
> };
>
> A *pa = new B;
> ..
> bar(pa); // making old code call new code

Thanks Victor, but my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,
but it has already been solved by Pete Becker.

Thank you anyway,

--
Marcelo Pinto

Mike Wahler

"Marcelo Pinto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
bar(pa); // making old code call new code

> my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
> the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,

It's a 'local' expression, which is probably only known
by (most) people in the U.S. Each U.S. state has a
'nickname', Missouri's is "The Show-Me State", 'show me'
describing the (supposedly) prevalent attitude of the
inhabitants to be "I must see it before I believe it".
How Missourians achieved this reputation, I don't know.
I suppose a web search might reveal the history, if
you're interested.

-Mike

mlimber

On Mar 6, 10:35 am, Pete Becker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> v4vijayakumar wrote:
> > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
> > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

> It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
> Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

As someone once said, we nerds often confuse clever with funny.

Cheers! --M