Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix P1 - 'Lens Error'

Nikon Coolpix P1 - 'Lens Error'

CJ

Hi,

I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
than the error itself.

It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
leave.

Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
happening again?

Thanks

Rogataber

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
> happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
> and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.
>
> It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
> extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
> switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
> and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
> the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
> stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
> than the error itself.
>
> It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
> 1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
> so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
> of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
> I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
> leave.
>
> Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
> don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
> whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
> happening again?
>
> Thanks

When I had a Coolpix 8700 this occurred when I had the lens cap on and the
string to tether it to the camera became twisted, stopping the lens fully
extending. It might not be the cause of your problem though!

Roger

CJ

On Mar 5, 7:33 pm, "Rogataber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > Hi,

> > I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
> > happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
> > and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

> > It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
> > extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
> > switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
> > and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
> > the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
> > stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
> > than the error itself.

> > It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
> > 1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
> > so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
> > of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
> > I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
> > leave.

> > Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
> > don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
> > whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
> > happening again?

> > Thanks

> When I had a Coolpix 8700 this occurred when I had the lens cap on and the
> string to tether it to the camera became twisted, stopping the lens fully
> extending. It might not be the cause of your problem though!
>
> Roger

Don't think that's the problem; I've never jammed the lens, and it
always retracts without a problem when I pop the battery.

Having said that, though, I've been trying to be more careful not to
apply even the slightest pressure on the lens when it extends, and I
haven't had the error message again. Hopefully it's something as
simple as that, and isn't the gearing getting progressively more
damaged.