Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Is there a really good WiFi phone?

Is there a really good WiFi phone?

ogoja

I am interested in exploring a wifi phone, but all the reviews of the
models I have looked at sound pretty negative. Has anyone had a
satisfying experience - and if so with what model?
Thanks.

Brian A

On 6 Mar 2007 11:06:23 -0800, "ogoja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am interested in exploring a wifi phone, but all the reviews of the
>models I have looked at sound pretty negative. Has anyone had a
>satisfying experience - and if so with what model?
>Thanks.

I may have use for a WiFi phone in future but I am looking at the
mobile phones that have this feature. They are currently not cheap but
might be worth a look, then checking out the models on the newsgroups
to find if suitable for SIP.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

clavox@btinternet.com

On 6 Mar 2007 11:06:23 -0800, "ogoja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am interested in exploring a wifi phone, but all the reviews of the
>models I have looked at sound pretty negative. Has anyone had a
>satisfying experience - and if so with what model?
>Thanks.

UTstarcom F1000G around 93.00 from provu.co.uk had no problems with
it so far, the Linksys WIP-330 WiFi Phone which costs a lot more has
audio distortion so the guy at Provu told me the other week when I was
over there .

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 6 Mar 2007 11:06:23 -0800, "ogoja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am interested in exploring a wifi phone, but all the reviews of the
>>models I have looked at sound pretty negative. Has anyone had a
>>satisfying experience - and if so with what model?
>>Thanks.

>UTstarcom F1000G around 93.00 from provu.co.uk had no problems with
>it so far, the Linksys WIP-330 WiFi Phone which costs a lot more has
>audio distortion so the guy at Provu told me the other week when I was
>over there .

I have an F1000G and while it has "toy" value, I'd never recomend it to
clients. It certinaly won't pass the "wife test". I tried it today on
a clients site, and it just wasn't happy, brought it home and it worked
first time when I switched it on. (And both my Nokia 770 & 9500 worked
fine on the clients WiFi APs, so I've no idea why the phone didn't!)

Gordon

clavox@btinternet.com

On 07 Mar 2007 00:35:07 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gordon Henderson)
wrote:

>I have an F1000G and while it has "toy" value, I'd never recomend it to
>clients. It certinaly won't pass the "wife test". I tried it today on
>a clients site, and it just wasn't happy, brought it home and it worked
>first time when I switched it on. (And both my Nokia 770 & 9500 worked
>fine on the clients WiFi APs, so I've no idea why the phone didn't!)

Matter of what you want it for and how much use you are going to put
it to I guess , there is no way that I would or ever will pay over a
ton for a phone no matter how many tricks it will do.

Thomas Kenyon

Brian A wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2007 11:06:23 -0800, "ogoja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am interested in exploring a wifi phone, but all the reviews of the
>> models I have looked at sound pretty negative. Has anyone had a
>> satisfying experience - and if so with what model?
>> Thanks.

> I may have use for a WiFi phone in future but I am looking at the
> mobile phones that have this feature. They are currently not cheap but
> might be worth a look, then checking out the models on the newsgroups
> to find if suitable for SIP.

Having set up an e60 at a site. I can tell you that it seems to work and
that the batteries really don't last very long.

mr deo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 07 Mar 2007 00:35:07 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Gordon Henderson)
> wrote:
>

> >I have an F1000G and while it has "toy" value, I'd never recomend it to
> >clients. It certinaly won't pass the "wife test". I tried it today on
> >a clients site, and it just wasn't happy, brought it home and it worked
> >first time when I switched it on. (And both my Nokia 770 & 9500 worked
> >fine on the clients WiFi APs, so I've no idea why the phone didn't!)

> Matter of what you want it for and how much use you are going to put
> it to I guess , there is no way that I would or ever will pay over a
> ton for a phone no matter how many tricks it will do.

Not to be rude, but if you pay 250 for a phone (you can get the wi-fi
phones for this on a contract, dump the contract and use the wi-fi part) and
save yourself 300 a year in phone calls then sh0rely there's a trick that's
worth while.

Or possibly you have never bought a good trick.