Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Which would be the best VOIP for a low user please?

Which would be the best VOIP for a low user please?

That Man!

Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
to route via any VOIP provider.

I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

Can any recommend a good provider please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
>to route via any VOIP provider.
>
>I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
>
>Can any recommend a good provider please?
>
>Brian (Huddersfield)

Good to see someone on here from my part of the world

You could try www.vyke.co.uk
NO incoming number - only for outgoing calls.
If your usage is low deposit EURO10 instead of GBP10.
It supposedly expires after 6 months but that'll give you about 12
calls a week @ 2p/call to Europe and the US.
Vyke have additional services that may also interest you.

For better quality calls, quick connection and an incoming number
www.voip.co.uk
Pay 2/month and get all your off peak UK calls included (up to 1
hour/call).
You'll get a geographic number, for your area, for incoming calls.
Peak calls to UK at 2p/call (up to 1 hour per call).
Only downside is their voicemail isn't up to much.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Roderick Stewart

wrote:

>Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
>to route via any VOIP provider.
>
>I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
>
>Can any recommend a good provider please?

Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

Rod.

That Man!

"Roderick Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary
>>telephones
>>to route via any VOIP provider.
>>
>>I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
>>
>>Can any recommend a good provider please?

> Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
> service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
> they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.
>
> Rod.

Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

Thanks again

Jono

That Man! formulated the question :
>> Change to Orange Broadband.

> Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

You'll wish you hadn't

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> That Man! formulated the question :
> > > Change to Orange Broadband.

> > Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

> You'll wish you hadn't

Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron Chew..!)

Ivor

Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:35:03 GMT, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That Man! formulated the question :
>>> Change to Orange Broadband.

>> Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

>You'll wish you hadn't

From what I have read, whilst some people will be happy with these new
Broadband/phone conglomerates, many are not. So, I agree with the
sentiment in that caution should be exercised. That's my advice if
anyone asks me. There is a lot of dust to settle yet. Some of these
deals are good on the surface but not everyone gets the deal they
expect.
IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
voip.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Herman

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
> for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
> voip.
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I agree, with the right equipment and the right provider, this should
definitely be considered, although obviously after trialling first...

However, you do also have to consider other deals around. I recently got to
Virgin retentions who ended up giving me 10MB broadband + landline with 24
hour free landline calls for GBP20/month (price matching Orange and Talk
Talk). Hard to justify VoIP costs here unless you spend a significant
amount on mobile/international and possibly NG.

As it happens I still use VoIP because of the international calls costs, and
I had already made the investment in the equipment. There are also the
"value-added" benefits you can get with VoIP, again dependant on provider
and equipment.

clavox@btinternet.com

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:10:27 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) id
>> That Man! formulated the question :
>> > ---------------------------------------------

>> > Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

>> You'll wish you hadn't

>Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron Chew..!)
>
>Ivor

No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent provider and
one that is in THIS country not miles away in Europe that provides no
means of contact except by email .

Brian A

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:15:31 GMT, "Herman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
>> for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
>> voip.
>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

>I agree, with the right equipment and the right provider, this should
>definitely be considered, although obviously after trialling first...
>
>However, you do also have to consider other deals around. I recently got to
>Virgin retentions who ended up giving me 10MB broadband + landline with 24
>hour free landline calls for GBP20/month (price matching Orange and Talk
>Talk). Hard to justify VoIP costs here unless you spend a significant
>amount on mobile/international and possibly NG.
>
>As it happens I still use VoIP because of the international calls costs, and
>I had already made the investment in the equipment. There are also the
>"value-added" benefits you can get with VoIP, again dependant on provider
>and equipment.

Apart from stuff like voicemail, caller display etc. I find the new
facility on Voxalot, to divert calls to voicemail, at certain times
very handy. I think, at sometime, I might find the timed call
forwarding useful too.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.