Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Ouch! VoicePulse policy

Ouch! VoicePulse policy

Kyler Laird

I'm moving a customer from toll-free DID to local DIDs. We decided to
try VoicePulse, a service I'd used earlier. He made an account and I
configured his Asterisk machine for it. It worked. He added numbers to
the account and they automatically worked with the single registration.
It was up to my customer to decide which numbers to get and he could
administer those without touching the Asterisk configuration. Slick.

However...today there was a strange outage at VoicePulse and while I had
a tech on the line I decided to clarify a concern I had over this FAQ
answer.
http://voicepulse.custhelp.com/cgi-b...hp?p_faqid=161
My problem was with "accounts have a total of 4 channels". I was
assuming that each time we added a new number (for $11, the same as we'd
pay for a new account) we'd get another 4 channels allocated. Surprise!
It doesn't work that way.

No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.

Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
month?

Having lots of accounts is going to be a real pain but $1520/month is
worth a little effort. Beware if you were thinking of using VoicePulse
with a bunch of DIDs.

Other than this issue and the outage this morning I like VoicePulse.

--kyler

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Kyler Laird <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
> and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
> the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.

I think you found their trick for separating home users from business
users. Luckily you are running a very flexible pbx and can take
advantage of the low per-phonenumber price and don't have to buy
expensive extra channels.

Just out of curiosity where is $11/mo plan on their web site. I only
see 3 plans at $27/$16/$49 per month.

> Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
> for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
> and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
> month?

Are you sure you need more than 20 channels total? Phone companies
normally have these tables for how many simultaneous lines you can
expect in use. Unless we are talking about a call-center or
phone-spamming operation (and I assume you wouldn't be involved with
the latter!), I'd expect much less than half the lines to be in use.

If we are talking consulting wages and the hassle of just logging into
20 different accounts at voicepulse to fund them and set the passwords
we are already talking several hours monkey-work. It might save money
to just get 10 channels and be done with it.

-wolfgang

Jonathan Roberts

Kyler Laird wrote:
> I'm moving a customer from toll-free DID to local DIDs. We decided to
> try VoicePulse, a service I'd used earlier. He made an account and I
> configured his Asterisk machine for it. It worked. He added numbers to
> the account and they automatically worked with the single registration.
> It was up to my customer to decide which numbers to get and he could
> administer those without touching the Asterisk configuration. Slick.
>
> However...today there was a strange outage at VoicePulse and while I had
> a tech on the line I decided to clarify a concern I had over this FAQ
> answer.
> http://voicepulse.custhelp.com/cgi-b...hp?p_faqid=161
> My problem was with "accounts have a total of 4 channels". I was
> assuming that each time we added a new number (for $11, the same as we'd
> pay for a new account) we'd get another 4 channels allocated. Surprise!
> It doesn't work that way.
>
> No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
> and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
> the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.
>
> Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
> for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
> and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
> month?
>
> Having lots of accounts is going to be a real pain but $1520/month is
> worth a little effort. Beware if you were thinking of using VoicePulse
> with a bunch of DIDs.
>
> Other than this issue and the outage this morning I like VoicePulse.
>
> --kyler

Yuck... I wouldn't use them at all if this is the case.

DevilsPGD

In message <_1qHh.3332$(E-Mail Removed)> Jonathan Roberts
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yuck... I wouldn't use them at all if this is the case.

Amen.
--
Insert something clever here.

Sipura 3000 via Cisco 831 on Voicepulse VOIP Fred Atkinson Cisco 1 06-20-2005 11:02 AM
Voicepulse mixed up my voicemail Larry Young VOIP 0 06-06-2004 12:07 AM
Asterisk vonage voicepulse pstn provider question Jason VOIP 1 02-24-2004 01:26 PM
VoicePulse Connect! Jeremy Parr VOIP 5 01-25-2004 10:31 AM
VoicePulse with Multiple Cisco 186's on one IP? jack turer VOIP 0 12-09-2003 03:21 PM

Advertisments