Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replacement Hard Drive for Dell Laptop

Replacement Hard Drive for Dell Laptop

Vass

Anyone know if a Dell Latitude Laptop will struggle to run a larger HDD (was
a 6Gb now want to put in a 40Gb) will the motherbard take it ?

Current drive is a Travelstar DBCA-206480 6440MB

Will it take this from Dabs ?
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

TIA
--
Vass

Sandy Nuts

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if a Dell Latitude Laptop will struggle to run a larger HDD
> (was a 6Gb now want to put in a 40Gb) will the motherbard take it ?
>
> Current drive is a Travelstar DBCA-206480 6440MB
>
> Will it take this from Dabs ?
> http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off spending
that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the laptop only
has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent transfer speeds...

P.S There shouldn't be an issue with the laptop accepting the 40GB disk. It
was only older motherboards that had bother seeing anything over 20GB.

Vass

"Sandy Nuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%%vHh.14545$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off
> spending that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the
> laptop only has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent
> transfer speeds...

disc is dead so no method of booting to use external options
ta for info
--
Vass

WhzzKdd

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sandy Nuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%%vHh.14545$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>
>> If it's just storage you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off
>> spending that on a decent sized removable hard disk? Saying that, if the
>> laptop only has a 6GB disk, I doubt it will have USB 2.0 for decent
>> transfer speeds...

> disc is dead so no method of booting to use external options
> ta for info
>
> Vass

I can send you a nice 6G Travelstar pretty cheap <g>

Just kidding. I really do have one, it came out of a dead Tektronixs
printer. So I put it in a little aluminum USB case for those times when my
flash drive just isn't enough space.

But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What model
Dell Lattitude laptop? They've only made a few hundred different models,
from way back in the 486 days (IIRC - maybe that was an IBM I'm remembering)
till now. The BIOS in the laptop will determine what size drive it can
handle. There was a 32G limitation that was fairly common, and as old as
that laptop sounds, could be an issue. However, the drive should be good at
32G, even if you lose 8G. Or there may be a BIOS update for the laptop, or
the drive manufacturer may have an overlay program to deal with that
problem.

Vass

news:2EEHh.31$(E-Mail Removed)...

> But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What
> model Dell Lattitude laptop?

Dell Latitude CSx
Model Number PMP
Latitude CS-Series
Ref No 99103

is there a 32Gig limit?
--
Vass

WhzzKdd

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:2EEHh.31$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> But the more important question isn't the drive, but the laptop. What
>> model Dell Lattitude laptop?

> Dell Latitude CSx
> Model Number PMP
> Latitude CS-Series
> Ref No 99103
>
> is there a 32Gig limit?

Probably not. That system looks like it was built around 2000, 2001 or so.
IIRC, most motherboards had updated their BIOS by then. You might want to go
to support.dell.com, and see if you have the latest BIOS for that system.