Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Won't come out of standby?

Won't come out of standby?

Kenny

Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
Things I have tried so far include:
Different monitor.
Both XP and Samsung driver for SyncMaster 940BF 19" TFT.
Both the original and latest nVidia Forceware drivers for graphics card, a
Club 3D
GeForce 6600.
Both the original and most recent chipset drivers for m/b which is a
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.
Flashed the BIOS.
Formatted and re-installed XP Pro/SP2 twice and that appears to fix it but
the fault seems to creep back in, it doesn't appear suddenly.
Am I looking at maybe a failing m/b or graphics card?
No problems showing in Device Manager and Event Viewer shows nothing
unusual.
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Kenny

meerkat

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
> PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
> On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
> Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
> Things I have tried so far include:
> Different monitor.
> Both XP and Samsung driver for SyncMaster 940BF 19" TFT.
> Both the original and latest nVidia Forceware drivers for graphics card, a
> Club 3D
> GeForce 6600.
> Both the original and most recent chipset drivers for m/b which is a
> Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.
> Flashed the BIOS.
> Formatted and re-installed XP Pro/SP2 twice and that appears to fix it but
> the fault seems to creep back in, it doesn't appear suddenly.
> Am I looking at maybe a failing m/b or graphics card?
> No problems showing in Device Manager and Event Viewer shows nothing
> unusual.
> Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

1. Check the Event Viewer for any errors.
2. System Restore to a previous time.

It could well be an update, or other machine change
that caused this.

geothermal

On Mar 6, 12:30 am, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
> PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
> On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
> Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
> Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
> Kenny

Yo, do the sensible thing and stop using the most stupid invention
ever.... "Standby".
Just pay the flippin extra 25 cents in electricity and leave the damn
thing on all the time or use hibernate like you can do. Yer wasting
your life troubleshooting this when you could be out having fun.
Whatever fun currently is for you. (^: You only live once. FYI.

geothermal

PC Tech Solutions

Agree... Disable standy. Sounds like a power issue with your hardware.

PC Tech Solutions
http://pctech-solutions.com

"geothermal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 6, 12:30 am, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying
>> again.
>> PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the
>> green
>> On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
>> Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
>> Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
>> Kenny

> Yo, do the sensible thing and stop using the most stupid invention
> ever.... "Standby".
> Just pay the flippin extra 25 cents in electricity and leave the damn
> thing on all the time or use hibernate like you can do. Yer wasting
> your life troubleshooting this when you could be out having fun.
> Whatever fun currently is for you. (^: You only live once. FYI.
>
> geothermal

WhzzKdd

"geothermal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 6, 12:30 am, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying
>> again.
>> PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the
>> green
>> On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
>> Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
>> Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
>> Kenny

> Yo, do the sensible thing and stop using the most stupid invention
> ever.... "Standby".
> Just pay the flippin extra 25 cents in electricity and leave the damn
> thing on all the time or use hibernate like you can do. Yer wasting
> your life troubleshooting this when you could be out having fun.
> Whatever fun currently is for you. (^: You only live once. FYI.
>
> geothermal

Most reasonable suggestion I heard all year <g>