Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help please, need idiots guide

Help please, need idiots guide

cynthiaamy@absamail.co.za

Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean? I
am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?

thanatoid

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried
> that my laptop has been tampered with, and is no longer
> secure. I have found strange hidden shortcuts to drive C on
> on a limited account that isn't passworded, as well as many
> other queries, How do I find out whats been done? My ex
> also sent me an email that when opened was an internet site
> ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
> settings pc name in the long internet address, what does
> this mean? I am terrified that he is framing me in some way
> as we are also fighting for custody of my two girls. Please
> can somebody help?

You need a lawyer who can recommend a computer expert who has
worked on this kind of sabotage before. There is a large variety
of nasty things that can theoretically be done, so I would
tackle this ASAP. It is quite possible that he is just using
some simple tricks to scare the crap out of you, but it is also
possible he IS up to something serious. Good luck.

What's in a Name?

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> after much
thought,came up with this jewel:
> Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
> has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
> hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
> passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
> been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
> internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
> settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean? I
> am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
> for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?

Copy any documents you want to keep on a USB pen drive. Find your
install disks that came with your laptop. Format and do a clean install.
Keep ex away. Use passworded logon. Get a new e-mail account.
good luck

max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages:

noalternative

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 06:33:22 +0000, What's in a Name? wrote:

> Copy any documents you want to keep on a USB pen drive. Find your
> install disks that came with your laptop. Format and do a clean install.
> Keep ex away. Use passworded logon. Get a new e-mail account.
> good luck

Also use a firewall
http://www.simtel.net/product.downlo...s.php?id=53687

, an antivirus
program

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

and a spyware program.
http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3...ml?tag=lst-3-3

You could
also try installing ubuntu linux http://ubuntu.com or for an older
computer xubuntu http://xubuntu.org.

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
> has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
> hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
> passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
> been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
> internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
> settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean? I
> am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
> for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?

You need to get to the real root of the problem and convince him that the
two of you must do *nothing* to
jeopardize the well being of your children.
Unless the guy as a pervert or dangerous...it is best to work out some sort
of joint-custody agreement.

It normally takes about 6 months after a separation for the both of you to
think clearly.

If, the guy cannot remain rational...
then you are going to have to find the best lawyer/barrister you can
possibly hire.

Should the two of you...on your own...eventually work out an agreement...
a fortune in legal expenses can be spared!

Frosty

On 2 Mar 2007 21:28:07 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
(E-Mail Removed), intended to write something intelligible,
but instead wrote :

>Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
>has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
>hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
>passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
>been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
>internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
>settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean?

Is this the link?
file://C:/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
>has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
>hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
>passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
>been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
>internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
>settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean? I
>am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
>for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?

You need to start encrypting your stuff, Docs, text or any
communications. (old and new)
GnuPG has been suggested as a secure free option
http://www.gnupg.org/download/

Read the docs listed on the left of the link.

Use TCPview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/TcpView.mspx
for anything outhgoing that shouldn't be (key logger)

Change and use a BIOS password and a Windows Password.

--
The Logical Song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqwli6-RRf4

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You need to start encrypting your stuff, Docs, text or any
>communications. (old and new)
>GnuPG has been suggested as a secure free option
>http://www.gnupg.org/download/
>
>Read the docs listed on the left of the link.

Link you need to read
http://www.glump.net/dokuwiki/gpg/gpg_intro
--
The Logical Song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqwli6-RRf4

cynthiaamy@absamail.co.za

On Mar 3, 6:33 am, "What's in a Name?" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com,
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> after much
> thought,came up with this jewel:
>
> > Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
> > has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
> > hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
> > passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
> > been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
> > internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
> > settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean? I
> > am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
> > for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?

> Copy any documents you want to keep on a USB pen drive. Find your
> install disks that came with your laptop. Format and do a clean install.
> Keep ex away. Use passworded logon. Get a new e-mail account.
> good luck
>
> max
> --
> Playing Nice on Usenet:http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
> My Pages:
> Virus Removal Instructionshttp://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> Keeping Windows Cleanhttp://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
> Windows Help and Toolshttp://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
> Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply.
> nomail.afraid.org is setup specifically for use in USENET
> Feel free to use it yourself.

Thanks, it was my first thought and have started saving all files
already, but I need some answers before I delete all info and if I am
a target I might inadvertantly delete the only info that could clear
me.
information that could indicate the PC was accessed by another.

cynthiaamy@absamail.co.za

On Mar 3, 6:13 pm, Frosty < (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2007 21:28:07 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> (E-Mail Removed), intended to write something intelligible,
> but instead wrote :
>
> >Am involved in a difficult separation, and I am worried that my laptop
> >has been tampered with, and is no longer secure. I have found strange
> >hidden shortcuts to drive C on on a limited account that isn't
> >passworded, as well as many other queries, How do I find out whats
> >been done? My ex also sent me an email that when opened was an
> >internet site ...page cannot be displayed..but it had my documents and
> >settings pc name in the long internet address, what does this mean?

> Is this the link?
> file://C:/

> >am terrified that he is framing me in some way as we are also fighting
> >for custody of my two girls. Please can somebody help?- Hide quoted text -

C:/docs.&sett/myname/desktop/mydocs/temp intfiles/content/
IE5/4PAVODEF/, I just rechecked it and the last letters are diff or I
am far too tired they now read TANWT23/.mht This is greek to me, I
found in he windows media player options settings allow download video
streaming in the background. and the saved file directory is
Transcoded files cache. but I cannot open any of them.Does this make
any sense to you?

New Science Discovery: Perl Idiots Remain Idiots After A Decade!New Xah Lee Python 16 03-12-2012 07:00 PM
New Science Discovery: Perl Idiots Remain Idiots After A Decade!New Xah Lee Perl Misc 15 03-12-2012 07:00 PM
Idiots guide to divs? R2G2 HTML 5 05-20-2005 03:10 PM
Re: Idiots guide to RAID? LINA MOHAMED Computer Support 0 07-20-2003 03:06 PM
Re: Idiots guide to RAID? Me2U Computer Support 0 07-11-2003 06:44 AM

Advertisments