Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ghost can't find a free MBR slot

Ghost can't find a free MBR slot

don

In trying to perform a backup of my c drive , Norton Ghost gives this error
"Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is
usually due to there being no free primary partiition slots left on the boot
disk." I know what this is hinting at because I have my harddrive split up
into 4 partitions, but I'm not sure how to fix this problem without deleting
one of them...

Gazwad

Keme <(E-Mail Removed)>, the doddering-scrounger and impudent
daffodil-boy who likes nefarious reproductive organ grinding with
ferrets, and whose partner is a sin-sister with a messy meat crease,
wrote in <45e61db7$(E-Mail Removed)>:
> don skrev:
>> In trying to perform a backup of my c drive , Norton Ghost gives this
>> error
>> "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is
>> usually due to there being no free primary partiition slots left on the
>> boot
>> disk." I know what this is hinting at because I have my harddrive split
>> up
>> into 4 partitions, but I'm not sure how to fix this problem without
>> deleting
>> one of them...
>>

> You need a backup of your C *partition*. Ghost can make an image file of
> that partition, and save the image to one of your other partitions (if you
> have enough free space) or directly to CD/DVD (if you have a burner
> installed).
>
> Using Windows, IDE disks can have 4 physical partitions (limited by the
> "slots" mentioned). One of these can be an "extended" partition holding
> multiple "virtual drives". If all 4 slots are taken by primary partitions,
> you are somewhat locked, but you may be able to wiggle your way out...
>
> If you need a mirrored partition (for immediate use upon failure of the
> original), one option is to convert two of you other partitions to logical
> drives on an extended partition (you can use ghost imaging as temporary
> storage for that, but simple copying is often easier if you have
> sufficient free space on the drive you don't operate on). The other option
> is to add a second drive.
>
> If you need a copy of the entire disk, (all partitions, and including MBR
> and additional info stored outside of the partition areas), you definitely
> need storage space on a second drive. That second drive can be a HDD or a
> CD/DVD burner.

Flick.

is but a dream within a dream.

Keme

Gazwad skrev:
> Keme <(E-Mail Removed)>, the doddering-scrounger and impudent

[...]
>> don skrev:
>>> In trying to perform a backup of my c drive , Norton Ghost gives this
>>> error
>>> "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is

[...]

>> You need a backup of your C *partition*. Ghost can make an image file of
>> that partition, and save the image to one of your other partitions (if you
>> have enough free space) or directly to CD/DVD (if you have a burner
>> installed).

[...]
> Flick.

Please disambiguate!