Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blocking a news group

Blocking a news group

john sumner

I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

kraftee

john sumner wrote:
> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
> tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

Don't subscribe to it, simple as that. As for cross posting there is
little you can do about it, other than not do it yourself off course..

john sumner

john sumner <(E-Mail Removed)> Thou woman's frock. What cracker is
this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath.
Thou buck-toothed miser. Thou witless wild heart. Ye castigated and ye
yipped:

> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
> tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

Real meaning: "WAHAAAAAA WAAAAAAH WAHHHH! MY PUSSY HURTS!!!"

Whiskers

On 2007-02-28, john sumner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
> tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

I'm not familiar with OE, but it might be worth looking at what's
available in (I think) 'Message Rules'; if you can set a 'rule' to 'block'
or 'send to trash' if the Newsgroups header (or 'any header') includes a
particular string of characters, then that should do the trick.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

john sumner

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm not familiar with OE, but it might be worth looking at what's
> available in (I think) 'Message Rules'; if you can set a 'rule' to 'block'
> or 'send to trash' if the Newsgroups header (or 'any header') includes a
> particular string of characters, then that should do the trick.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

OK whiskers i can try that, thanks a lot

Vanguard

"john sumner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:es40d9$n76$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
> tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

You have no control over what other users specify in the Newsgroups
header, like listing multiple newsgroups for a cross-posted message. OE
doesn't have a strong rules set. Thunderbirds rules are even worse then
OE. Go check Xnews. I trialed it awhile back (but it had too many UI
bugs and I didn't like the window behavior). Xnews has regular
expressions that you could use to see if a substring is included in the
Newsgroups header.

Blinky the Shark

john sumner wrote:
> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
> tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

Unsubscribe.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

elaich

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:es4ali$h1r$(E-Mail Removed):

> Xnews has regular
> expressions that you could use to see if a substring is included in the
> Newsgroups header.

In Xnews, you can simply block all crossposted messages. In Setup>
Misc>"Kill articles that are crossposted to more than (1) group."

Xnews has a few bugs, but I'll live with them because of the marvelous
control it gives me. And I love the windows behavior. It's one of the few
newsreaders I've found that does not force me to use split screens. It
behaves exactly like IE, opening a new full screen window to display the
message, while leaving the window with the newsgroup threads open beneath.
Posting a reply opens another window. The only way to improve it would be
tabbed browsing like in Firefox.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

john sumner

"elaich"

> In Xnews, you can simply block all crossposted messages. In Setup>
> Misc>"Kill articles that are crossposted to more than (1) group."
>
> Xnews has a few bugs, but I'll live with them because of the marvelous
> control it gives me. And I love the windows behavior. It's one of the few
> newsreaders I've found that does not force me to use split screens. It
> behaves exactly like IE, opening a new full screen window to display the
> message, while leaving the window with the newsgroup threads open beneath.
> Posting a reply opens another window. The only way to improve it would be
> tabbed browsing like in Firefox.

Ok guys thanks for the info, will take his all and decide what i want to do
but thanks a lot.

TransWench

I was busily flonking away in AUK, when The Goddess Eris Herself
suddenly made me reply to AOK:
> john sumner wrote:
>> john sumner <(E-Mail Removed)> Thou woman's frock. What cracker is
>> this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath.
>> Thou buck-toothed miser. Thou witless wild heart. Ye castigated and ye
>> yipped:
>>
>>> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK tired of
>>> seeing their crossposting BS.

>> Real meaning: "WAHAAAAAA WAAAAAAH WAHHHH! MY PUSSY HURTS!!!"

> This is not misogynist language?

Ignoring the opportunity for commenting on your attempted autoflame, no,
it isn't. Mr. Sumner is behaving like a whiner with no self-control;
IOW, after the manner of someone who would have a decent excuse for such
complaining. After all, if your vagina were hurting very badly, would
you be inclined to refrain from making any sort of scene? No one would
blame you if you did, assuming they knew the circumstances. However,
don't take that as carte blanche to palm off any bitching you may do as
being caused by pain in your crotch -- not all the time. Wears thin,
after awhile...

Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!! Kallisti!!! mhm 29x21; Chung Convict #78
Pope Snarky Goodfella of the undulating cable, JM,
CK, POEE, KOTHASK, GGGHD, HCNB, IAC, MWFA
COOSN-029-06-71069

VOTE! Usenet Kook Awards, February 2007

WINNERS! Usenet Kook Awards, January 2007 MID:
<Xns98D232E44C01pinkusenseinetcabalc@204.153.244.1 70>

Email popesnarky *at* gmail.com
I want a boyfriend who is sensitive and caring,
but they already have boyfriends.

"I hate explain $hit to tards. Especially illiterate tards." -- The
Monkey is very hard on irony meters, as in MID:
<Tc4xh.657$hH2.432@trnddc02>

"email is not a private form of communication." -- Dustin Cook, in
"Dustin is FILTH in my opinion. And not for any reason other than
posting Rhonda's personal info." -- Respondant

"After the Swift Boat Veterans who served with Kerry in Vietnam claimed
that Kerry lied about his heroism, the Democrats wanted to make a
similar ad attacking Bush, but they couldn't find anyone who served with
him." -- Anonymous

"You would no longer be here if I were to stop praying for you." Andrew
B. Chung's delusions of grandeur are getting out of hand, in MID:
<(E-Mail Removed) om>

You're fighting a Spam Witch

You look into this seductive creature's eyes and feel as if she can make
your sword longer, your bank account bigger, your waist smaller, and
show you the secret habits of barnyard animals. You fight to resist her
charms . . .

She gets the jump on you.

She shows you a picture of her pet goat. "This is my goat, see?" she
says. Dear god, the horror. Ooh! Ugh! Ouch! Oof! Oof!

You lose 17 hit points. (bad spelling damage) -- The Kingdom of Loathing