Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > AD Setup

AD Setup

Michael

Hi,

Im going for the 70-215 and have installed a 2000 server.

Problem is that when I try to make a domain and set up the Active Drectory
(dcpromo) I am prompted to submit
a domain name, the course book recommends microsoft.com.

When I try to do this I get an error saying that the domain name could not
be found or connected to, and that I should install
the DNS service, ok so I try that with the IP supplied by the book again and
the DNS can not be installed beacause the host
could not be found, I have tried with other domain urls too with the same
result.

The sever is currently a Workgroup.
I am using the Win2000 cd provided with Microsofts own book and following
the instruction in it.

Dcpromo seems like a simple task yet I am stumped and can not get past this
problem.

Can anybody assist me please?

Much Obliged
Michael

Marko

Michael: I am doing this from memory, so you may have to
fill in the blanks.

Go to Add / Remove programs and install DNS in the Windows
components if you have not done so already.

Now, go to START / cmd [enter] and at the command prompt
type "ipconfig". The result should suggest that you have
a valid IP number attached to the machine. For the
purposes of this exercise, I will assume 192.168.0.1. If
you do not get an IP and if the network card is not
plugged into a switch / hub or some other way is not
functioning, DCPROMO does not work.

Go configure the network card and set the IP number
(192.168.0.1?) to be the primary DNS.

Go to START / Program / Administrative Tools / DNS. You
should see the local server in the left windows, otherwise
ACTION / Connect to a computer (yours!)

Open it, and it should have forward and reverse lookup
zones. Create the reverse zone first which is a Standard
Primary zone. The wizard will suggest a reverse from
192.168.0. Accept the default values.

Now set up a Standard Primary forward zone. If the book
suggests microsoft.com, then fair enough. If you call it
something else (like michaels.net) that's fine. Just
assume the name substitution during the questions in the
remainder of the book.

To get this all to work, use the Right Click menu in the
forward zone you created to add a host record. It will be
[WhatTheServerNameIs] and the IP is 192.168.0.1 and YES to
the box - Do you want to create a reverse lookup? If you
do not have a NS record for the domain pointing to your
server, ADD an NS record. Add an NS record for the
reverse zone as well.

Remember the value from the IP config command? If DNS is
working correctly, it should no longer just say the
NetBios name next to the IP number, but should report
[servername].michaels.net type name. If you
type "nslookup" at the command prompt, it should report
back that the name server is [servername].michaels.net.

Congratulations - DNS is working.

Now run DCPROMO....

=?Utf-8?B?TV9DX1NfRQ==?=

All You have to do is allow dcpromo to configure the DNS service for you, it will say it can't find the DNS service, then you juest let it complete the installation and configuration of DNS if you do not have an authoritative zone file for the dns name you are trying to ouse

Brat

can you say paranoid?

--
Sue Thugette #69

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04d201c3d6f8$c66f1cf0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

The FBI has been harassing and mentally torturing me for
two and half years since around Oct 01. The FBI has
installed
gps tracking devices in my car, tracked me like an
animal,
wire tapped my phone and has been monitoring all my web
surfing
activities for 2.5yrs and completely dehumanized me.
The FBI agents have been following me 24X7X60X60
everywhere
including grocery stores, retail stores, malls,
restaurants and movie
theaters. The FBI agents who were following me have at
times
verbally and racially abused me in retail store and
grocery store
parking lots by shouting at me inanities.
One FBI agent once tried to ram into my car from behind
with a
comcast van and came within one inch of hitting me from
behind.
There was no traffic altercation between us and there was
no
traffic on the road. The FBI agent in the comcast van
never tried
to overtake me and was very angry at me and hated me for
no reason.
I have been unemployed for close to 3 yrs and When I send
resumes
to potential employers, the sadistic FBI agents who were
monitoring
my email and websurfing, have been badmouthing and
assasinating my
character with recruiters and jeopardizing my job
opportunities
for the last 2.5 yrs.
The FBI has been interfering in my personal life for no
reason.
The FBI has completely destroyed and denied me any sort
of privacy for 2.5 yrs. Each and every word I type and
post on
the web is being monitored and each and every email
tapped.
The sadistic FBI has forced me to live like a virtual
prisoner
for 2.5 yrs with zero privacy and 24 hr real time video
focused
on me. I cant talk to friends, family members and
prospective
employers without the fear of being over heard and
recorded.
I am afraid of doing everything and anything without fear.

I am not a terrorist. I am not even a muslim. I dont have
any muslim friends. I am not a drug smuggler. I did not
kill
anybody. I did not threaten to kill anybody. I dont have
record like gottis or escobars. I do not have any prior
criminal record. Why should I suffer all this harassment
and
constant loss of privacy for such an extended period of
time.
I feel completely naked infront of the world and it has
been
like that for a couple of years.
I am not familiar with US legal system that much. Can
somebody
tell me why the sadistic FBI has such ridiculous
amount of power to harass and mentally torture me. WHy do
the
FBI has the right to think they are God and they are
always right.
WHy should my life depend on what the FBI thinks of me.
Why should
I be put through so much pain and suffering. Why do the
FBI has the
right to deny me privacy for so long. Who gave the FBI
the right to interfere
in my personal life and bad mouth and assasinate my
character with
potential employers. Why are the FBI agents telling
employers not
to hire me. As it is, it is very difficult to find a job
in this
economy and whatever few opportunities I get are being
screwed
by these fbi sadists.
On what basis, the FBI installed a gps device in my car
and tracking
me like an animal. On what basis did the FBI wire tap my
phone.
On what basis did the FBI tap and monitor my web
activities
and email for 2.5 yrs. I feel as if I was put in a 6x6
cell with
24X7 video focused on me and fbi agents standing around
the cell
and constantly poking me with sticks.
One undercover FBI agent sent an email and called me a
dumbass.
His email is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and his ebay id is
spodekmodek.

Lot of FBI agents are harrassing me 24X7 in vehilces with
michigan title plates UFX 210 (white SUV), XRA 155 (black
car), BOGEY 27 (black car), PPL 587 (red car).

Assume everything I said is true and somebody with legal
knowledge
and expertise help me out here.
I do not have access to us.legal and misc.legal usenet
news groups. I would appreciate if somebody can do a cut
and paste this into us.legal and misc.legal news groups.

VOLDAR

Great job MARCO, and I'll come here with only two
specifications:
- first, before doing that, rightclick MyComputer >
Properties > Network > advanced and write there the future
DNS sufix (ex. microsoft.com - but I don't think you can
use it although in the book it is - or michael.net) and
then close everything and restart the computer.
- second, while setting up the DNS, open a command prompt
and type c:\ipconfig /registerdns.
!! Remeber: you have to specify the DNS IP address in the
TCP/IP computer configuration as being the IP address of
your server !!(you can do that before or while setting up
the DNS)

And after all is done, go to each of the Forward lookup
zones and Reverse Lookup zones and rightclick them >
Properties and check : allow updates!
That's all I wanted to say, and also from memory. For
further instructions, check the book Michael . Good
luck!

Papyna.BO

At First

Please make sure that there are no two same NETBIOS name
on the LAN.

The Second

For AD,you muse have a DNS server

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
Unfourtunatly I have not got it to work.

ipconfig gives the reply Media State ...........:cable disconnected.

When I ping the server name I get the ip to be 127.0.01 (when I ping this ip
I get server unknown)
nslookup returns the same ip and "Default server:unknown"

This is a dual booted machine with W2K and Win2000Server.
The nic works fine in W2k.
I have checked the nic and it was ok, I also updated the nic driver.

I am trying to familiarize myself with the server and have installed it and
am just
trying to run it offline. In other words it is not connected to anything.

The static ip is set to 192.168.0.1,and the DNS to 192.168.1.201

I am going out of my mind, as described in the book this is a simple task.

Please help

Much Obliged
Michael

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0ab101c3d691$581810c0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Marlin (the PFY) Munrow

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:38:57 +0100, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the help.
>Unfourtunatly I have not got it to work.
>
>ipconfig gives the reply Media State ...........:cable disconnected.
>
>When I ping the server name I get the ip to be 127.0.01 (when I ping this ip
>I get server unknown)
>nslookup returns the same ip and "Default server:unknown"
>
>This is a dual booted machine with W2K and Win2000Server.
>The nic works fine in W2k.
>I have checked the nic and it was ok, I also updated the nic driver.
>
>I am trying to familiarize myself with the server and have installed it and
>am just
>trying to run it offline. In other words it is not connected to anything.
>
>The static ip is set to 192.168.0.1,and the DNS to 192.168.1.201
>
>I am going out of my mind, as described in the book this is a simple task.
>

>Please help
>
>Much Obliged
>Michael
>

>"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:0ab101c3d691$581810c0$(E-Mail Removed)...

I found that installing an MS Loopback adapter got me round this
problem back in 2000 until I went and bought a hub and some cables

Once installed (even without a cable or hub) you can at least run
DCPROMO and get off the mobious loop
"We require rigidly defined areas of
doubt and uncertainty!"

Remove Vroomfondle to email me.

voldar

And be sure that you have a cable connected to the NIC
(create yourself a loopback cable), your DNS will start
working