Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Free Stuff

Free Stuff

KS

Gary G. Taylor

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:22:12 +0000, KS wrote:

> http://www.dubitinsider.com/tracker/log/9?uid=5867

A lesson for newbies about how unwise it is to click on the above link --
or, for that matter, ANY "click here" where you're uncertain of the poster
and/or the site:

Consider this tracker/log/9?uid=5867 section of the above URL. The
"tracker" and the uid=5867 identify the poster of the message so that
s/he may receive credit for click-throughs. This, then, is spam--an
unwanted commercial posting. You have no idea what's behind this, so the
best thing to do is shine it on, DON'T click, regardless of how much you
like "free stuff." If you click on that link, the likelihood is that
you'll get plenty of free stuff--spam spam spam. Got it? Good.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

Mara

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:59:28 -0800, "Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:22:12 +0000, KS wrote:
>
>> http://www.dubitDONOTCLICKTHISinsider.com/[redacted]

>A lesson for newbies about how unwise it is to click on the above link --
>or, for that matter, ANY "click here" where you're uncertain of the poster
>and/or the site:

Chickenboners.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/23w27q

Hopefully it won't last long.

--
Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

Paul T. Holland

your advice is very good - way too many outfits out there to take a
chance

this particular bunch is pretty well known "dubit insider"

what they do is engage [yes - an actual contract] and you become a paid
[in goods and services] shill for national/international products - it's
a variant on product placement. you might go on a blog and tout a
product, or wear a t-shirt, the list of possibles is depend. upon what
the company is pushing this week or even this hour...it's 'peer to peer'
marketing. with a bit of mlm thrown in i.e. the tracker for specific
referrals

and yes, you could well end up on the rec. end of spam